A potential new element

Thought exercise:

Imagine a meteor hits our atmosphere, breaking up and scattering pieces of a brand new element all throughout the earth. This element, let’s call it brock, is finite. There is a limited amount and we cannot make or discover any more.

For some reason we can divide it up into crazy small, granular pieces and there is enough brock for every person on earth to have a fraction of it. People can easily hold these small pieces by remembering just a few special words.

If you have some brock, no one can take it from you. In fact, no one can even tell that you own any. Your brock is secure and hidden from anyone trying to steal it. No one can forcibly remove it from you unless they have those special words.

Another strange thing about this brock is you can send it to anyone in the world within 10 minutes, just by communicating with them. They can take full possession of your brock from wherever they are by placing a simple phone call, text message, smoke signal, really any form of contact works.

We’ve never seen anything like brock before. It can’t be duplicated, it can’t be confiscated, and it’s completely transferable from person to person.

What would you do if some brock crashed into the planet? Would you find it interesting? Would you want any?

I would want to learn everything I could about this new element. It seems so unique and has such a specific utility, it has to be influential and useful for the future. How does it work? How did it get here? What can we do with it? These are just a few questions I would want answered about this interesting, new element.

Some people would want to use brock only for profit, buying and selling it for a higher price, not caring about the element itself. This is not what would interest me. I’d want to know the intricacies of brock, and how it could impact society for the better.

There are very few points in history where a paradigm shifting element is introduced into the world. If it happened today, I wouldn’t want to ignore it. I’d want to educate myself about the new tool and attempt to make the change I want to see in the world.

In a unrelated topic, The bitcoin educational gathering class will be on Tuesday, the 27th of November. Come ask questions and get educated on the basics of Bitcoin and learn how you can get involved with this new financial system for sovereign individuals. https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8562

Also, the Crypto SIG will be meeting on Monday the 12th. 6:30PM not AM. https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8350

:grin: