A bit of progress

On Friday night a few things got done in the machine shop:

Tim Bene and myself installed the replacement collet alignment screw in the Bridgeport spindle.

Tim Bene adjusted a couple of yoke screws on the Clausing lathe cross slide, which reduced the backlash from about 100 mils to more like 8 mils or so without the wheel coming notably more resistant.

Mike Glass and myself sorted and inventoried the remaining two drill indexes. Then Rich Meyer used a file to remove the shank nubs from many of the “reject” drills, restoring many of them to “acceptable” and back into the inventory. The “reject” drill bit pile was reduced to less than half, but there are still plenty of specimens for Bill’s bit sharpening class. No doubt some bits will be restored then. After that class, I will check the final inventory and produce a summary sheet high lighting the remaining inventory holes for purchasing. To keep drill bit purchasing to a reason frequency, perhaps, less than 4 bits in the frequent use sizes would be a marker for purchase, while less than two in the low use bits may suffice as a marker.

4 Likes

wow! thanks guys. Sounds like you had a great work party.
we’d be a wreck if it weren’t for you guys. Now have fun and make something cool
on the machines you’ve repaired.

2 Likes