A $20 Oscilloscope?

So first of all bear in mind that I can’t afford the latest greatest oscilloscope, by any means.

That said, after an electronics class last week I went looking for one, and there are these like$20 oscilloscopes on eBay.

What do you guys think? Is it a good buy or am I throwing money away. It doesn’t have to be perfect for me. Just a general functionality is all I need. I mean for that price you can’t really go wrong right?

This One is some assembly required but you can also buy it in a simple acrylic case assembled.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSO138-2-4-TFT-Digital-Oscilloscope-Kit-DIY-Parts-Acrylic-Case-Cover-1Msps-Set-/172369899841?epid=623745553&hash=item28220bf141:g:2hgAAOSwzaJX-zIj

Or there’s this one:

This one is like an arduino, but has some software that does the deed. Only $5. But no probes.

In my opinion you would be throwing your money away. These devices are incapable of making measurements with any degree of accuracy. They just display pictures, and then not very good ones. The only exception is if you want to use them to analyze audio frequency devices.

As a member, I suggest learning to use and then taking advantage of the oscilloscopes available in the electronics lab.

If you want to purchase, then search (craigslist, ham fests, etc) for a good analog scope with a 20-50 mhz bandwidth. You should be able to find one for $50 or less.

1 Like

I have a stack of 9 of the dual channel 60MHz EZ (formerly LG), 1 60MHz BK, and 1 20MHz BK scope here each with a pair of probes, but they aren’t $50. I’m asking $75 each.

thank you walter, good advice.

I might be interested in one!
I’m in AV and wanting to learn how to use an oscilloscope to measure things like audio phase and mostly RF signals. Do you know if one of yours would work for that?

I bought the first one pictured in a parts kit for $18

I’m not confident it will do a lot but it was fine for setting amp gains on my stereo

I figured $18 what’s to lose, but now that I’m a DMS member I would have just used one there

Can you send me some pictures or model numbers so I can take a look at them? I’d be interested in jry

I have been outfitting my workshop in to an electronics hobbyist dream. Although my wife is not real happy about it.

Burt I just got a new soldering station and variable DC power supply -10A 30 V max which I’m excited about.

I need a class on soldering techniques though. I’ve been doing it for 5 years or so but my Quality is poor. Also with building circuits on proto boards.

Right now I solder in components and then solder 28AWG wire be theconnections. It ends up messy looking if functional

In there meantime. Reserve one for me.

I’ll start a new thread