9/8 - Vinyl Cutter Troubleshooting - Vinyl bunching up and not staying aligned

ISSUE or REQUEST :
All items must be filled in. Just putting the issue in the title is NOT sufficient to resolve the problem. Make your best guess in topic 2 if you don’t know the answer.

Please put the date in the title of your topic.

(1) Affected Tool or Resource :
Vinyl cutter
(2) Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST ( Please tag using the @ symbol. A list of current groups that can be “mentioned” is maintained at this LINK .):
@Team_Creative_Arts

(3) Details of ISSUE or REQUEST ( Please be as specific as possible ):

I brought in some vinyl to cut a large sign, but I’m having issues with keeping the media aligned during the cutting. It keeps bunching up or something and I’m not sure if there are settings I should be messing with to make it cut properly or if it’s something like the blade being dull and catching on it. Is there any chance someone knows whats going on, or could possibly meet with me some evening this week to help me troubleshoot this? I’ve wasted a lot of the vinyl trying to figure it out already, and want to make sure I don’t run out of it completely…

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

:bulb: If you are reporting or resolving an equipment issue, please also update the tool status board appropriately.
:warning: NOTE: This category is NOT for discussion threads. Any “discussion” will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate “discussion thread”.

Is it Heat Transfer Vinyl and is your piece only a few feet long?

No, it’s adhesive vinyl and it’s on a roll. Here’s the amazon link for reference: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E1OD11U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X2gCDbVWDG72N

Also, the bunching issue seemed to be happening on the left side of the cutter most often, if that information helps narrow things down.

Check to make sure that the rollers are fully alligned, and that they’re not full of little pieces of cutoff vinyl.

1 Like

I need to pick something up in my bin after work today. i’ll check the rollers on the Titan while I’m there to make sure they’re aligned and not gunked up.

5 Likes

Last time I had a similar issue, it turned out that the pressure roller things were not lined up opposite eachother on top and bottom so there wasn’t anything really advancing the vinyl properly.
There is a pic in this thread from Cary. The rollers are supposed to be lined up with the markings above them.
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/resolved-6-18-vinyl-cutter-not-advancing-evenly/57872/2

2 Likes

Ahhh… That could have been it, that wasn’t something I checked.

Came back today and the vinyl printer is successfully printing :slight_smile: the rollers are all aligned and i’m pretty sure they weren’t before. Now I know to look for that! Thanks everyone!

5 Likes