87 Ranger Overhaul

While the electrical situation in my truck isn’t great and will be getting my attention soon, I also have other parts that I intend to work on.
I have a cart in rock auto that I’m itching to pull the trigger on, but don’t want to forget anything and need to get as much done at or around the same time.
#1 power steering: everyone sends to be familiar with the rangers tendency for power steering leaks. I’m hoping just this o ring kit will fix it.
#2 rear drum brakes: I haven’t taken my rear wheels and drum off, but I think its gotta be done. Springs shoes and cylinder… also because my parking brake doesn’t work…
#3 exhaust: I had to do a hack job about a year ago, so my exhaust now comes out just before the rear tire. The heat shield is rotten off, not sure if I should bother with the pipes right now or just put a little extension tip to get it out from under the truck a bit?
What else…
I’d like to get any more ideas of ways to improve my trucks performance…
oh yeah, I’ll be adding water pump to the list, not quite overheating, but it sounds a bit crunchy.
Would anyone be interested in helping me with my truck. I don’t have any friends
… I have been studying the wiring diagram and have a complete engine wiring harness from a similar (not exact) vehicle.

There was a time when sidepipes were popular on hot rods, but the rules changed and they no longer passed inspection; the exhaust had to be behind the rear axle. I do not know what the rules are now.

Thanks, I’ll check into that. They passed me recently!

In the state of Texas, exhaust must discharge exhaust gasses to the side, top, or rear of any passenger compartment(s). So on a pickup truck, they may exit the side before the back axle provided the discharge clears the passenger compartment and it’s not equipped with a ‘camper shell’ which might be construed as a “passenger compartment”. Honestly, it’s soooo subjective to the whim of your local, friendly, state inspector…
Here’s a page containing an article about the rules/law:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx
Because the site sucks, you have to select “exhaust system” from the pulldown.
Here’s what it says:

Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE:

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

NOTE: Holes in the exhaust system made by the manufacturer for drainage are not cause for rejection. The tailpipe must direct the exhaust fumes out from under the passenger compartment.

Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.

1 Like

Interestingly, while the camper-topped bed is no longer a legal passenger compartment, it is still considered one for the purposes of exhaust requirements.

2 Likes

Have you checked the cable adjustments, as well as tried adjusting them on the drum brakes?

too much information, just post a link to that kind of stuff…

1 Like

For the parking brake? The cable adjustment is all the way tight, but i have not opened up the brakes yet,

I actually appreciate an answer to a question instead of just a link and having to find it.

2 Likes

Nathan,

Pick an evening next week other than Monday and I’ll help you with your rear drum brakes and parking brake.

If you like, we can make it 2 nights. Night one we can assess what your truck actually needs. Night two we can repair the brakes after the needed parts come in from Rock Auto. That way you don’t buy more than what you need.

3 Likes

Sorry, man. I would have, but I couldn’t find a way to post a link to the actual information in question. Just to the portal containing it.
Plus, I like to keep @Bill happy…

3 Likes

All good, thanks
… I was just a little hangry

1 Like

That would be amazing! Would Wednesday work? I’m looking for a place to live, hopefully with a garage or flat driveway!

Weds works around 730-8pm ish until midnight

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll be there!
Does the powerprobe work? I’ve never used one and I think it might help me find some of the electrical issues in my truck.

1 Like

Yes it does, I’ve used it recently.

3 Likes

upon inspection, the Ranger needs wheel cylinders, shoes and drums.

The left wheel cylinder has been leaking fluid for a while.
The shoes are saturated with fluid & worn well past their service life

Some good news : The parking brake cable assembly functions but is out of adjustment due to the brake shoe wear - the shoes are saturated with brake fluid also reducing the effectiveness of the parking brake.

The other “good news” is that the fluid is only brake fluid and not from the axle seals.

3 Likes

Parts ordered!(about $100 fyi)
I like all the good news about my bad brakes!
Also I replaced my turn signal flasher and they both work now!

2 Likes

Nathan,

Let me know when / if you want help doing to drum brakes.

If you go it alone:
Be sure to remove and assemble one side at a time - so that you have the other side as a reference.
Take care when removing the hydraulic line - use a line wrench to break it lose(not an open end wrench).
Be patient.

2 Likes

And remember the left and right are mirror image when using the other side as a reference.