6 Nov 22 - PolyPrinter .91 wasn't staying hot

I was using PolyPrinter .91 and a few minutes into my print job the extruder started jamming. I noticed then that the tool hot end was going down, even though the setpoint hadn’t changed. Tried pausing the job and re-setting the temperature, but that didn’t work. Eventually, I restarted the printer (using the reset button) and was able to restart my job, which then ran without issue.

Sharing as it might be something starting to fail (possibly the hot end heating element?).

It worked for a few more hours, then in the middle of another job, the printer lost communication with OctoPrint and the head just cooled off. It wasn’t more than 20 minutes before I noticed that it was idling, but I couldn’t get it to heat the tool end. Tried resetting a few times and even power cycled it once. Each time, I could tell the board had been reset (needed to reconnect in OctoPrint) but I couldn’t get the tool hot end to heat at all.

Unfortunately, this means I couldn’t (safely) remove my filament, so I cut off a piece and left it in the machine.

11/20/2022 ~16:30 attempt to use:

I was able to connect and load my gcode ok. The bed was already at temp when I opened the door. I manually set the target temp for the tool (so that I could pull a strand of filament). Got happily to the “print” button. Then the temp control seemed inverted. It would turn off when I started the job. I could not get the tool temp to hold.

I’m fairly new at this, so I don’t have much troubleshooting info beyond that. Suggestions for future info to share would be appreciated.

Dave

Look at the gcode on the job you’re sending it.

I was using an open source program to put the g-code together for my printer here at home and it had the wrong prepend string in it and was giving the printer the command to shut down the extruder heat.