50 year anniversary of Apollo 11

The launch and crew’s progress was on every television on Earth. We held our collective breath as 3 incredibly brave humans flung themselves out of Earth’s orbit, for the greatest adventure in the history of Humankind.

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”

Where were you?

1 Like

I called in sick to my Mr. Quick fast food summer job so I could stay home and watch it. Neil Armstrong says he actually said ‘That’s one small step for a man”, which would make more sense. It doesn’t sound like that on the recording, although if you say “for a man” our loud without enunciating clearly, it can very close to “for man”. It was an incredible night in front of the TV. I’m listening to an excellent BBC podcast series about Apollo 11. It’s called 13 Minutes tothe Moon.

3 Likes

I was not even a glint in my parents eyes.

I recently watched the This Old Tony & NYCNC escape hatch parts build. Both are worth watching.

4 Likes

Sitting on the floor of my grandfathers living room, since he was the only person in the neighborhood that had a color TV. My father and grandfather were there, too. Walter Cronkite was in color, but the camera on the moon was black and white.

I laugh at the people that claim the moon landing was a hoax. I remember that the shortwave hobbyists were actually receiving the transmissions direct before they filtered through NASA and some were triangulating the distance to the moon. Some of the astronomy hacks that had the really good telescopes will tell you that they saw a faint flash when the lunar module blasted off from the moon.

5 Likes

5-year-old me was allowed to stay up late to watch a grainy image of … something? moving around on the Teevee. My dad was super-hyped, though. :smiley:

My dad had built the 1/32 lunar lander model kit (with authentic moon crater™ base), and the bigger “top part of the” Saturn V kit (I think it was the 3rd stage on up), and he would put them on top of the TV. As the Apollo missions progressed, he’d take stuff out and move stuff aside, so if you looked up on the TV you could see the current spacecraft configuration. Meatspace Infographics, as it were…

3 Likes

I was in utero preparing to be born that December LOL

Cindy

2 Likes

I was just 12 years old. We had a B&W TV, like most people. My family and I watched transfixed as Walter Cronkite broadcast the greatest journey in history. My family watched in amazement taking in everything that was being broadcast, especially the landing and moon walk. I think my father even took off from work to watch.

Later, my parents bought my brother and me Saturn V and Apollo rocket models. I eventually collected all of the space program rockets. My friend built an Estes powered Saturn V multi-stage rocket and we launched it together. https://estesrockets.com/product/001969-saturn-v/ We loved anything space related.

I believe the space program changed the world almost as much as nuclear fission.

Recently, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and my birthday, my wife bought me this:https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-silver-dollar-19CC.html?cm_sp=LP1--19CC--071619

My wife, incidentally, was born on the day Sputnik was launched to start the space race. We consider ourselves “Space babies”

What an adventure.

3 Likes

I was at Dallas Baylor Hospital with my wife and our one day old first daughter Anita. It was great. The doctors and nurses did not want to hide in nurses stations. They wanted to be in patient rooms so they could watch TV.

Update: Charlene reminded me of how excited everyone was except for one staff member that thought it was being faked. Also, I just read the recent book One Giant Leap by Charles Fishman. Its incredible how many contractors were relied on by NASA to complete this project.

2 Likes

OT but almost all big government projects are done by contractors. Highways, ships, aircraft, buildings, Medicare… “The Government” hires contractors to do it. It still cracks me up that the ubiquitous little mail trucks are built by the same defense contractor (Grumman) who built the Lunar Module and the F-14 Tomcat.

1 Like

“We are riding a rocket which was built by the cheapest bidder”

Gotta love it.

1 Like

I was only 2. I’m told I watched the landing, but I don’t remember it.

I’ve seen recordings and read about it so many times now that I know it by heart.

We’ll be back. With NASA or in spite of them. Whatever works.

1 Like