5/8" Sucker Rod

Many blacksmiths use sucker rod to make tools, particularly punches and chisels. In all of my classes so far we’ve used 5/8" sucker rod to make our chisels. The price of the material can range from $10-$20 or more for a single rod. They are generally 25-30 ft in length though.

I’m thinking about going to Duncanville and picking up some 5/8" sucker rods. They are $10 a rod and a single rod will make a ton of chisels and other tools.

I contacted this seller today: Redirecting...
and he said he still had plenty of sucker rods for sale. He also said he’d help cut them into more manageable lengths. (I like 10ft)

Is anyone else interested in acquiring sucker rods? @jbrown885 should I purchase any for blacksmithing?

1 Like

I might be a little off base here, but would leaf spring steel work for your chisels?
From what I understand, they’re really good for knives…

I asked because in the next 2 to 3 weeks I’m going to be replacing the leaf springs on the back of my truck and yes, I have some of the leafs already designated for a few projects, but I can turn loose of a couple that you could cut down and use if you’re interested.

That being said, I’ll also have a coil spring or two can be cut down and used I can offer up for classes or whatever.

I appreciate the offer and yes the steel is usually 5160 and good for a number of smithing projects.
The steel is good for what are known as chopper knives more so than pocket knives or skinning knives
although they could be used for these, too with some work.

The chisels we make really need a cylindrical steel to start with. You can certainly make a different kind of chisel with spring steel though.

As far as coil springs go they are better candidates for punches and chisels like we make. They, however, require some skill to straighten for use as a punch or chisel. It is just easier to start with a straight sucker rod.

I appreciate very much you thinking of us and any donation of steel is welcome. We already have some coil spring and leaf spring but more is always welcome.

2 Likes

Okay, awesome!
And the next couple of weeks as I get this moving, I’ll keep you informed so we can meet up and I can get it to either you or @jbrown885

Dan,

not to ‘hijack’ your thread - but would you be interested in what I think are blacksmithing tools?

Carry on

I would most definitely be interested in the blacksmithing tools.

1 Like

they are mostly - no idea what they are called - tongs or mammoth tweezers lol.

@coloneldan, if not too late, you might also check Wylie Steel. I’ve often bought sucker rod there at very reasonable prices. If you live/work on the east side of Dallas, it might be more convenient.
They are on Hwy 78 between Wylie and Rockwall.

FWIW, the threaded knuckle end of the sucker rod is also handy for making Hardy tools.

1 Like

Dan,

I may sell that Pexto metalsmithing table I have in storage - might you be interested?

Personally I don’t have any room for a table. As far as blacksmithing goes we might. How big is it?
It’s probably a long shot as usually everything in blacksmithing is metal, even the tables.