45 degree sled for the table saws

Do we have a 45 degree sled for the table saws ?

I need to carve up a quarter sheet of plywood with a number of 45 degree angle cuts.

( first cut is a perpendicular cut into 2ft x 2ft pieces. Don’t need the 45 degree cuts on anything bigger. )

I’ve had the class, but don’t remember all the attachments off the top of my head.

Thanks,

Todd

Not completely sure what it is you are wanting to do, but if I understand mostly correctly you should consider using the sliding miter/crosscut table we have for the Saw Stop for this.

1 Like

The main thing I need to hold a 2x2 peice of plywood at 45 degrees to the saw blade ( all flat on the table ) and cut from corner to corner.

I think I remember a rig that slots into the table top that can do this. Just checking.

Yep…the “rig” is what I am suggesting. It tends to be more useful for larger/longer/wider items.

1 Like

I would also suggest the Festool Tracksaw. Put the track down across corner to corner, clamp, cut. I find it easier than the sawstop side sled for tasks like this. Make sure not to cut into the table below your work piece though.

3 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’t sure it could do angles.

Now i just have to find time to get to the space.

I’m not after a bevel cut. Just corner to corner.

For this project, the amount of setup the Festool needs is a non-starter.

I really could get away with a hand guided Skillsaw, but figured if we have the table saw attachments I might as well give it a go.

The Festool takes maybe 2 minutes longer than just a hand held skilsaw, for much better results. The Festool is definitely the way to go, imho…

3 Likes

That gains me exactly ZERO practice with the table saw. Which is a secondary part of this project.

Hence my questions specifically about the table saw.

Thanks for the input, but I wasn’t looking for alternatives.

I’ll grant you a desire to use a tool, but it’s not a good idea to force the use of a tool ill suited to the task when a better option is available.

That’s quite an arrogant assessment for someone who has so very little information about what I want to build, how many I want to build, and what my requirements for accuracy are.

I asked a specific question. @mblatz answered it, and I appreciate that. The rest of this “You should just do it my way” stuff runs people off. We could use a lot less of it on the forums.

The picture of the Festool above is NOT what I intend. I do know a reasonable amount about utility woodworking at least. Furniture is not my game, and I’d rather be in the metal shop for that. For this project, the table saw is the right tool. I just needed to know if we had the right setup for the sled. Cuts will all be blade vertical.

The Festool will cut a normal 90 degree or vertical cut by default. That photo just has it adjusted over to a 45 degree angle, just like most SkilSaw type hand saws have the capability to do.

You stated you wanted to cut a square piece of ply into two triangular pieces. It can be done on both the tablesaw and the Festool track saw. I have done angled cuts in large sheets of plywood using both methods (to build new pinball cabinets from scratch), and found the Festool to be much easier to use with a greater level of accuracy for the end result, especially with the angle at 45 degrees. The sled setup on the tablesaw has a greater tendency to wander off a set angle or for the workpiece to move off angle during the cut than the Festool did in the course of my cutting the panels for multiple cabinets.

It’s not arrogance, it’s experience.

I have no interest in using the Festool.

If I had, I would have asked about it.

I have limited time, and no significant need for precision.

I stand by my assessment.

Sounds like you don’t need help at all. Go for it with your tool of choice and I am sure you will get it done. Our normal crosscut sled is too small to do this so you will need to use the sliding table on the sawstop or make a jig. Since we do not have a true sliding table saw I would suggest you make a jig for the best accuracy.

While I see you are opposed to using the festool it is probably the quickest tool we have to get the job done once you know how to use it. If you need very repeatable cuts you can place stops in the tracks so it sets up the same on every square to cut corner to corner.

6 Likes

Well, I just learned something !

1 Like

Thing is, I was just asking if we had the tool. Not for advice.

I’m sure it’s all been well intentioned, but I’m pretty sure two simple setups on the table saw will take me less time than 5 setups with the Festool. Plus the complete learing curve for the Festool, since I’ve seen that done only once or twice in passing. No time for that learning curve this time.

If I were working with a 4x8 sheet - you bet I’d use it. Just doesn’t seem to be the right tool for me for this job. That “Once you know how to use it” clause is the killer. That must fall into the “later” category I’m afraid.

Thanks for the input. Think I’ll give Plan A a shot.

Most of your posts indicated you are not well versed in woodworking or the tools we had and needed advice, wanted or not. Now we know you don’t want advice we will do a better job at just answering your question.

Angle sled for what you want to do -No

Crap ton of other tools to do same job - yes

Now just get in there and make some triangles!

1 Like

Maybe I’ll just stay home and make some triangles.

Thanks for the critique.