3D Scanner Training!

Hey guys, as of last night I was put in charge of our new NextEngine 3D Laser Scanner! Although the system is very simple to use, a relatively short training session will still be required. Like the PolyPrinters and the FS Laser, the actual operation is not difficult, but many things need to taken into consideration to get a quality scan.

Although I’m willing to work with a few individuals on test cases in the interim (Robert mentioned someone wanted to scan parts of the Steam Engine build?), I would like to wait the necessary 2 weeks so we can get honorarium for the class before full training begins.

That said, WHEN would everyone like a class? I’m thinking right now about Friday Aug. 4, maybe 7 or 8ish? Would weekends be better? I’ll be offering more frequent training (probably once a week at various times/parts of the week) until most people who want to be are trained, so don’t worry if you can’t make it to the first session.

4 Likes

I think you may mean September 4th?

Weekends are much better for me; specifically, Saturday, early afternoon or late evening.

Next-best for me would be late in the week, after 7 P.M. Friday is OK, Thursday maybe better.

That IS what I meant, thank you! Serves me right for trying to make a new post as I’m about to head out on break >_<

@Opcode, to accommodate more people’s schedules I’m likely going to do one late Friday and another one early-mid afternoon on a Saturday. Not sure which will be first, I wanted to get some input from likely attendees to figure that out. Heck, if there’s enough people ready and willing I might do both in the same week. Probably the third class will be a Tues/Wed affair mid afternoon. I’d like to avoid teaching on Thursday, as I am afraid of the Makerspace on Thursdays D:

Since the interface is very simple and the scans take some time, I’m thinking we can forgo an in-class hands-on and just do maybe an hour or two lecture and live demonstration, dos/don’ts/and best practices, how to prep your object, things to watch out for, etc.

I’m also thinking I might get with Mr. Floyd and whip up a nice metal cage for the scanner similar to what Digital Media’s new camera has (it’s nice). It’ll allow easier mount options to different tripods, gives us an easy way to lock it to the table (so it doesn’t go accidentally “wandering”), and should give it some extra protection should the absolute worst happen.

I’m in pretty much whenever you schedule the class. Mondays and Wednesdays though I’m almost always at DMS. I could make Fridays and Saturdays, too if required.

I would love to take your class. I am flexible as to time but actually prefer the mid-afternoon route.

Thanks!
Chris

OK, just submitted the class to the calendar (though its not up yet, I don’t foresee any problems getting the slot). First class is going to be Saturday from 1:00p to 3:00p in the Lecture Hall. We’ll go over basic operations as well as tips for scanning things at various scales and for different purposes: small sculptural objects using the turntable; large objects which will need many scan ‘families’ merged together; mechanical objects to be recreated in CAD; tips on scanning living subjects (very hard); and ideally a really fine macro scan, like of an interesting insect or rare coin or something, just to see how far we can push this thing.

Anything anyone else would like to see? Thoughts on a date for the second class? I’m going to see about getting Digital Media’s camera for the classes, after probably 2 or 3 lectures I should have more than enough footage to then just make a digital class for future members.

If I can make it out there, I can also record it with my camera. However, you should concentrate on sound quality; a lapel mic would be a good idea. I have a wireless mic you could borrow. Whatever you do, you really need something better than the on-camera mic. The sound quality in the Lecture Hall is not very good, and the door to the workshop makes a loud bang fairly often, as people go in and out the door.

1 Like

Hm, good point. Maybe it’d be better to just do the live class as its own thing, and then set up with a camera and mic in a quiet area some night to record the digital class. Be able to get up closer, have better control over the sound, be able to edit it into something a little nicer than a camera staring at the back of everyone’s heads. I’ll figure out those logistics in due time XD

1 Like

Yes, if you want to make the video look nice, you probably would need good lighting and sound and multiple cameras. You could still do it with an audience, and that adds some interesting context to the video, but it might be difficult to meet the needs of the video and the audience at the same time. You might even want to shoot the video at different locations and times.

One of the reasons I am offering the training on the Bridgeport Mill is that many of our members either will not or can not watch the MIT videos linked from the Machine Shop wiki page. Those videos are of excellent quality; however, they just weren’t enough.

While I would love to see such material produced in house for the scanner (and other tools), I don’t think we should ever expect that it will eliminate the need for actual classes. Though, personally, I would prefer the video that I could watch on my schedule to the need to physically be present for the class.

I’d believe that. I’ve watched those MIT videos (they ARE good) but find myself still a bit uncomfortable with the idea of actually using the mill and will likely still attend one of your mill classes in the future. Though I think that has to do more with the fact that the Bridgeport is a big heavy expensive machine that one can maim themselves on. Also those videos are several hours in total. Hopefully just having a link to a 30-45 minute video on the computer that runs the scanner will make it a little easier for it to be used. To be honest, I’m not big on the idea of standing in front of a large group of people, so I know I’m not going to want to keep teaching after a few classes. That said, I also don’t want to see the scanner collect dust or potentially go up for sale like some of our other equipment has, so I want to find a way to offer perpetual training without me having to keep teaching so that this becomes an often-used piece of equipment.

I understand completely. I would suggest you do a version of the same speech I give at the beginning of my Bridgeport classes.

“I have committed to give these classes for between 3 -6 months. If by the end of that time, people who have taken the class and learned to use the machine don’t come to the table to help with the teaching of these classes, this class will likely go away…”

After only two classes so far, I have two folks who I am meeting with next week to discuss them also providing the class. That way we have a pool and can switch off. I suggest you take the same approach.

These classes are needed; however they are given by volunteers, and folks need to understand that means people taking the classes ALSO need to volunteer to help train others.

I don’t mind speaking in front of people at all. I’d be happy to teach this class, especially if the lesson plan is already prepared. The two things I want from DMS are a chance to learn how to set up a makerspace and the chance to teach classes (preferably for honorarium).

Did a little testing yesterday, got an HD capture on this little 2.5" tall statuette. For reference, SD scans take 2.5 minutes per angle, and HD scans take 5 minutes per angle. I did this in 10 scans, 5 low angle and 5 high angle, so about 50 minutes of scanning (thank you MultiDrive!) and minimal cleanup required (but definitely some). Going to try to print him out today.

My first test scanning a coin was inconclusive, but I think there will be a way to do it. At first it just looked like a disc with some noise on the face, but at the right angles you could definitely see a faint shadow of the bearded man on the coin through the noise, like one of those 3D noise posters. As I only took two angles, I’m betting further scanning and a more even coating on the coin (thinking a misting of white spray paint) I might be able to read the detail better.

@Opcode, I don’t mind doing the first couple of classes, but I would appreciate your willingness to take over after that. I’m not afraid to speak in front of people, but there are definitely things I would rather be doing with my time!

4 Likes

Some more tests have been done:

This is a Bishop from an old chess set we have had for years. He is missing his twin.

One of the other Bishops lends a hand in the scanning.

Comparison between an SD and an HD scan.

Made a comparison print of the Dragon statuette from earlier. The white filament is not great at conveying detail in photos, but this will be in 3D Fab later along with the original for comparison.

And did some scans for John K. of some of the kit parts from the Steam Engine build. The parts are raw cast metal, so the surface actually is kind of noisy like this. Improvements could be made, but as the point is to cast them and then mill them down anyway, an SD scan like this seems appropriate (and less time consuming)

4 Likes

Those are freakin’ awesome from the pics! The steam engine parts look especially good to me and since they get finished low resolution is prefect!

reasable replication, finally.

I saw the dragon print, I’m definitely impressed. Compared to my experience with 123D catch, I can tell you this scanner will scan more detail than we’re able to print. Those mechanical parts look great! Did you have a chance to scan my mouse cover?

I did, once. Both sides independently came out really well, but I didn’t have any good way of aligning the front and back. The cover is so thin the software assumed it was the same surface. I know how to compensate for this–bit of clay in an asymmetric lump that the software can get a solid fix on… worked great for the flywheel. I’ll be giving it another shot the next time I’m up there, probably tomorrow (unless I suddenly feel in a ‘going out’ mood tonight XD)

2 Likes