3D printing threads

Wow! You have really put a great deal of thought and effort into this. Thanks muy mucho!

FWIW, another approach to loosening it if needed would be a 0.160" diameter hole in the periphery of the exterior, perpendicular to the axis; in the same manner as the chuck and its scrolling ring. That would have allowed a standard Sherline chuck tommy bar to be used to loosen it if needed.

It sounds like round will be harder to overtighten by hand, so that’s a good plan!

Is it pipe thread or a bolt? You can look for the major & minor diameters. I have an app on my phone for bolts that gives me the specs.

For the Sherlne Nut I essentially did what @TBJK suggested. I found a reference on the internet then used those dimensions verbatim.

SolidWorks makes adding threads nearly brain-dead simple. Click the triangle below Hold Wizard, click thread, pick the start (bottom-towards-opening worked best), pick the end, pick the thread (0.7500-16), click go. I had to extrude-cut a correctly sized hole.

Nut 4 is in the shop. I like it.

Please let me know which you prefer / if you want any changes.

2 Likes

No laughs here. I’d fix it too.

1 Like

I am a new member still getting certified on different equipment and this is exactly why joined this community. Multiple makers from multiple disciplines working together. This makes me excited to dig in here.

6 Likes

I have finally made it up to the space. I love the latest nut! The blue one is especially nice. You’re right - it’s easier to get off and on than the black one (but honestly the black one is fine).

Thanks mucho for doing this. This should protect the threads while the machine(s) is sitting idle.

Any chance I can convince you to please print a spare? Not that we ever misplace anything at Makerspace …

2 Likes

Excellent!

I will try to find some “Machine Shop Blue” to print the final version (only changes will be more precision / less fast and a different color).

No spare. I will provide everything you (anyone) needs to make your own. (I will teach you to fish efficiently instead of just giving you one more fish.)

1 Like

Sadly I could not find “Machine Shop Blue”. You are stuck with teal.

I made two more then left them both on the Sherline in the shop.

If you want changes, just let me know.

I will write instructions then package the whole lot so others can print any lost nuts or build from what I’ve done.

3 Likes

Awesome thought into the needs and use @Brian!

FYI - Fusion 360 also offers a quick click to add threading to a bolt or hole. I was stunned how well it prints on the Polys

4 Likes

This should be the entire package…

Sherline Spindle Cap Nut.zip (970.3 KB)

Included are…

• SolidWorks model
  • Stereolithography model (STL file)
  • Ready-to-print g-code
  • Text file (markdown; should be usable on the wiki) briefly describing how to configure KISSlicer and finish the nut
3 Likes