3D Printing + Machining (a cost effective solution for precision parts)

This post is for general information…

I needed to create an auger type mechanism that would be difficult to machine yet I needed to hold some very tight tolerances. I attended the Design-2-Part show in Grapevine a few weeks ago and there was a manufacturer that was 3D printing rough parts and then machining them to get the needed tolerances. I thought I would give it a try for my project and here’s how it turned out. In a word - fantastic?

I designed the part, including some of the support material in CAD and sliced it using 100% infill so I got a solid piece of material. (I was about an 11 hour print.)

After printing, I machined the outer surface to the exact dimension required - perfectly smooth and within 0.002" of the needed dimension.

Maybe this will help with your next challenge,

Phil

7 Likes

how exactly did you do the machining for the finish on the contoured plane? Or was this just machining the overall OD?

3 Likes

Only the OD was machined. I needed the outer diameter dimension (clearance to the ID of the tube within which it operates) to be accurate and I needed the outer diameter to be perfectly centered on the center line of the part. The contoured plane wasn’t critical so the 3D print accuracy was sufficient.

Phil

4 Likes