3D Fabrication classes

Hello,

I’m pretty familiar with the PolyPrinter machines, but I’m interested in learning how to use the Resin printer. Generally, I’m eager to do more experimentation and other projects I can’t do on the printer I have at work.

All that to say that I wanted to know if there are any classes I could take to learn about the other machines or general tips & tricks? Is certification required? I’m also interested to know how materials are managed. For example, do I need to pay for filament used? Or is that included in my membership fees?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Start at Learn where there are courses for both types of printers and such sundries as cost for DMS furnished vs. run-what-ya-brung are broached.

2 Likes

For filament it is easy either bring your own ABS and its free or weigh when done and pay by the gram at the terminal. It is far cheaper to bring your own (DMS is about 5x more expensive than microcenter) but if you only want to do a small print and don’t want a whole spool it can be an ok way to go.

As for resin, if you want to bring your own you must bring your own resin AND tank AND all cleaning supplies. If you do so, the printer is free to use. If you want to use the resin from the space, make sure you are using the correct tank and resin. The tank labeled “white” (the one with the max fill line) is to be used with the white resin, the other tank is to be used with the grey water washable resin. I would recommend using the water washable one, as the white resin must be washed with IPA and I believe the washer is still broken. The class says to pay by the gram but the terminal still has measurements by the milliliter. Personally I weigh my pieces and do my best to convert to the price from $.10 a gram to $.30 a milliliter and round up.

Make sure you take the online class so you know the ins and outs, and when you’re ready let me know I can help you make sure your first print is a success.

1 Like

This is an old price. It’s for the FormLabs resin. Weigh the print and pay by the gram. Ten cents per gram (which should be 11 cents per milliliter). Use the wrong payment code (i.e., filament) if you need to in order to get the correct price.

I’ll put in a ticket and ask the committee to update the kiosk.

3 Likes

We definitely need to get more advanced 3D printing classes on the calendar! At the moment, we don’t have too many volunteer instructors, so I’ve been doing what I can to host the occasional basics class for the PolyPrinters.

The FlashForge and the two Prusa printers are new to the 'Space, and aren’t yet available for use.

There’s an individual sign-off process in place for the Delta, but the process is not quite as defined as that for the PolyPrinters.

FYI, the resin printer suffered a catastrophic failure tonight, and will be out of commission until we get a new LCD installed. The LCD has been ordered, but probably won’t arrive until the end of April.

3 Likes

Sorry, I forgot a few of your questions in my previous reply!

Yes, however, the training for the PolyPrinters and the resin printer can be taken online, and there are occasional in-person classes for both basic and advanced topics.

All that to say that I wanted to know if there are any classes I could take to learn about the other machines or general tips & tricks?

If there’s a particular topic you’re interested in (for example, printing with flexible filaments) and would like to teach a class about, we definitely welcome new instructors!

I’m also interested to know how materials are managed. For example, do I need to pay for filament used? Or is that included in my membership fees?

If you bring your own filament, there’s no cost to print on the PolyPrinters. The same is true with resin and tubs for the resin printer.

Alternatively, if you’d like to use the 'Space’s filament or resin, you can pay for it by the gram at the Square checkout kiosk in the 3D Fab area. For filament, most people seem to prefer bringing their own, as 1kg of ABS is around $17 at MicroCenter, Amazon, and the usual places.

3 Likes

Fantastic info provided here! I’m new and just signed up as a member after getting a tour from a friend the other day. Already signed up for a few courses for other things at DMS during April, but I too would love to sign up for a 3D Fab class if and when that could be available as it’s something I’ve always been interested in.

FYI the resin printer is broken currently and the parts needed won’t be here until the end of April. There is another one in the Jewelry area but it can only be used with wax resin.

And as a reminder - it doesn’t belong to DMS. It’s on loan from a member, so be especially careful with it.

1 Like