3D Fab "How To's" and Filament Usage log binder is a work in progress

We now have a 3D Fab “How To’s” and Filament Usage log binder, which is a work in progress…

Currently…

• There are a few screenshots of OctoPrint under one tab…
  • There is a page with recommended settings for using T-Glase
  • There is a sheet with some handwritten information about how to log 3D Prints that are printed for the 'Space… An easier to read, printed, log file will replace the scribbles I scratched out for now.

Thanks, y’all!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought we were only supposed to use ABS in the printers with the exception of the one that was set-up for Ninjaflex?

2 Likes

We experimented with T-glase last night, it’s locked up in the cabinet because it’s somewhat expensive and specialized (Same with Taulman Bridge and PCTPE) , it does require some special settings to get it to print properly. I have been told by the guys from Polyprinter to experiment with it, but it could possibly clog the nozzle if left heated in the hotend without extruding. I don’t think there should be a problem using T-glase instead of ABS if you have the right settings (in the book). You have to change the minimum speed to like 10mm/s so it prints really slow. I think the main issue is using PLA in the PolyPrinter’s because the possibility to burn the filament if left at high temps and clog the hotend.

I do agree we need some sort of policy written about which are approved filament types allowed in the printer (not just common knowledge or just told from the certification classes)

3 Likes

I also wanted to add this for @Comter:

We can use Smooth-on XTC3D to make the T-glase almost see-through. We could make really cool looking vases and stuff.

3 Likes

To add to this, PLA is especially damaging because if it is printed using ABS settings, it will burn in the nozzle and basically necessitate replacing the nozzle. Unlike ABS, there is no readily accessible solvent for PLA, so the nozzle is basically ruined. I’ve seen this happen many times on the printers at my college’s makerspace, so I’m fully in support of an “absolutely no PLA in the Polyprinters” rule.

3 Likes

Hi Walter (@wandrson)… :smile:

Basically the rules are:

• ABS is the primary type of filament approved for use in the PolyPrinter 3D printers.
  • PLA is NOT allowed in them at any times.
  • NinjaFlex is approved. The reason there is one printer set-up in particular, is because it requires a different extruder; and, it’s just easier to keep “which” printer we swap the extruder out be the same one each time.
  • Any other types of filaments are considered on a case by case basis - which was the case with T-Glase.

I imagine that individuals who purchase their own PolyPrinter possibly use various types of filament - because it’s much easier for individuals/families to control how their printers are being used, etc… However, there are too many variables to make it practical to open the PolyPrinters up for experimentation like that in a general sense at the 'Space ~ where “uptime” and reliability are our priorities with the PolyPrinter 3D printers.

As an example: Several of the Taulman filaments are actually ‘approved’ by PolyPrinter; however, they tend to be very difficult to print with and some (perhaps all?) have a tendency to clog the nozzle ~ which is why we don’t approve them for use on the printers at the 'Space.

As time allows, Mitch and I will continue to work with PolyPrinter on recommended settings, etc… and when we find filaments that are not prone to damage the nozzles, I will consider adding them to the approved types of filaments for use on the PolyPrinters. If/when any new type of filament is approved for use on the PolyPrinters, I will post accordingly.

All that being said… Soon, we will have two additional 3D printers that will be more open for experimentation: The Mendel90 (that is being built by Mitch and co); and, a PrintrBot Metal Simple that has been ordered. Mitch will work out the usage details for the Mendel90, since he’s very familiar with it through building it. I will work out the usage details for the PrintrBot Metal once it’s been built.

Regarding the PrintrBot Metal, my plans are to have a “Midnight Makers” class of 5-6 members help me build it - which will ensure that there are at least half a dozen of us who know how to fix it if/when things come up; then, after it’s been built, allow members to experiment with alternate filaments. Currently, my thoughts are that I will work out something where members can provide information showing they have researched the filament they’d like to use; and, the likelihood that it will work well with the PrintrBot Metal (links to articles where the filament has already been used successfully in a PBM, etc…), then after the information has been reviewed, I will request that the member(s) provide documentation on what works (and doesn’t work). Since many of the experimental types of filament tend to clog nozzles and cause other issues that may require parts being replaced, I will ask that any member using something new in the PBM be willing to replace parts that may become damaged as a result of the experimentation (hopefully it will mostly be isolated to replacing nozzles, but I will likely keep it open ended to cover hot ends, etc… that may be damaged due to carelessness, etc…)

For those who may be wondering… The reason the PrintrBot Metal was selected was due for the most part because of the following three factors:

1. Price point (we could afford it without having to ask the Board for help. :wink: )
  2. Durability (it’s Metal - less likely than most of the other kits in the same price range to become damaged/destroyed).
  3. Support/Documentation/Community/etc… (it’s popular, tons of documentation, lots can be done with it!)

I hope this helps clear up any confusion!

Thanks!
Lisa
:smile:

Lisa,

I own the metal simple so I will keep an eye out for the ‘midnight’ build. I have had to learn how it’s internals work since it has required a lot of ‘fiddling’

Walter

2 Likes

Awesome ~ Thanks! :smile: