3d Fab Election MEET the Candidates

I’ll vote for Max Kirkland.

Both of you have brought up the connecting wires to the printers. If I understand correctly, Max wants to shield the cables while Jayson would like to make them wireless. What are the Pros/Cons of each solution?

1 Like

Im my mind wireless can fail a heck of a lot more than a cord if its shield properly, and wired connections that are shielded wont cost as much.

Maybe we can cut the front panel from the boxes. The tank can then be easier to remove from the box.

The resin is UV reactive (someone correct me if I’m wrong). Hence, having the front of the boxes cut off means remaining resin will slowly cure over time with cabinet opening/closing.

I have not used them in several weeks. I seem to recall the lid has a flap which provides some protection if the front is removed.

The reason the boxes are full of old resin and gross is that about 4 months ago someone put one of the cartridges in upside down an it spilled, getting a lot of the boxes soaked, the number of resin soaked boxes is slowly diminishing as new boxes are purchased. We do need a storage shelf system in the cabinet and John Gorman has said he was willing to make it.

1 Like

Yes, I read about that.

Still, JJ has a point. It is tricky removing the tank from the box.

Exactly. The 3D Fab room has a WiFi dead zone from the center of the room to the corner farthest from the door. Either that would have to be corrected, or we would not be able to place printers in 1/4 of the room, or we can just go with cables.

Ideally, on boot-up, the OctoPrint computers would first try wired then wireless. If wired is available disable WiFi to reduce the amount of radio noise.

Good to know for the current room, but I would suspect this wouldn’t be an issue in the expansion?

Failure rate would be vital, and cost is a good thing to keep track of for shielding, just not sure what Pros would be of going wireless as Jayson suggested.

That will always be an issue. We move things. We add things. We remove things. As that happens we will have trouble with radio interference.

For example, a metal cabinet, like the tall one in 3D Fab, can easily cause problems. If that cabinet is moved, the problem could: stay the same, move somewhere else, get worse, or disappear.

Easier to move the printers for maintenance or reorganizing the room. No need to run cables.

Still do not see an election on calendar it must be posted 14 days in advance. I may have missed it.

1 Like

Seems like @maxk68 would want to get that on the calendar ASAP…

2 Likes

There is one for a committee meeting

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7766

1 Like

They can hold an election at that time.

Just updated event to note it is an election also.

It must say elections as all other committees have done.

Well I was talking to Stan about fixing the dead spots and give 3d fab their own network.

And wireless only means the WiFi on the pi’s. However if I add the touch screen for controls to each printer then you would still have Control even if the WiFi or network goes out.

They make shielded cables for usb and we can go that route to help with cut out there.

Not 14 days public notice on calendar or space

I’d be glad to buy or make a drawer system with labels on the out side to house the resin trays. Also I’m working with Gus to get the cabnet working correctly.

13.5 days after the last BOD.

1 Like