3d Fab Election MEET the Candidates

Hi All,
Board of Directors as asked that the 3D Fab Committee redo their elections due to the way my Proxies where done. Sorry!!!

I would like for Max and I to use this thread to Talk about our position on the 3D Fab chair election.

2 Likes

For those who do not know me I’m Jayson Woods, Current Vice Chair and Past Chair for Vector. I’m working with Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Kids to improve and use 3d technologies with surgery, prosthetics, and other applications. Some of my work can be seen in the photos of the 3d lab of the Scottish Rite maker tour. We are currently opening a new campus in Frisco where I’m having to coordinate vendors, staff and construction crews which will be very helpful with the current expansion. Shawn and I have worked with the Expansion Committee for the Vector area.

My current opponent is Max Kirkland, who is the current Vice Chair of 3d Fab.

What I would like to see done in the future is a cross pollination of committees Jewelry and Small Metals with classes on the Form 2 and the wax castable resin and Ceramics with the new ceramics resin. I’m currently working on getting the RFID cabinet working correctly, adding controls to each of printers on a touch screen, adding fob access to the printers (it will turn the printers on so we can see who is using them), visiting with vendors to add report logging (how long the print is, who is printing, how much filament is used, so on), working with Pearce on printer maintenance, adding Wi-Fi Enable Raspberry Pies to cut down on the amount of cables using to the printers, and helping get a dedicated network for the Pies. I would like to see long term is better and more in-depth classes on the basics, maintenance, 3D design, and a bring in your own printer and let us help you fix it class. I would like to look in to being able to use different kinds of filament (ABS, PLA, SLA, nylon, carbon fiber, and others). Being able to provide a Wheelchair / Disabled Friendly printer workstation is something in the future I would like to see happen as well.

I will be getting proxies on here and in person because I want to talk to you! I would like to see where you want YOUR 3D Fab to go in the future, so please come talk to me!!!

I Strongly encourage you to show up and vote at the Committee Meeting

If you would like to Give your proxy on here you can do so by the comments or by coping this paragraph below along with your name and e-mail it to [email protected]

****I would like to cast my proxy vote for Jayson Woods 3D Fab Chair election 2018. **

If you have ANY Questions please come find me I’d love to answer them and hope to make 3D Fab an easier and friendlier place to work.

Examples of my work in 3D Fab

Scottish Rite visit

4 Likes

Care to elaborate for those of us who could not be there?

Jayson re-used proxy vote sheets from the Automotive election.

It looked like shenanigans would have been possible due to the way the votes were collected, so the BoD asked that they have another election and that it be posted 14 days in advance.

2 Likes

Correct. So now we need to redo the election

Right. They specified that it is not a run off between Max and Jayson, but a whole new election in which anyone can run.

1 Like

Just to clarify for anyone who misreads, like I just did, the core issue was questioning validity of the proxy votes. Jayson got a number of unused Proxy sheets that had been printed out for Tom and the Automotive Election. Jayson marked out Tom’s name and Date of Election and wrote in his own. However, since they had been altered, it was difficult to validate which were for Jayson and IF any had been previously signed for Tom.

There was no accusation of wrong doing, it was just enough to have the candidates run a second time to ensure a clean election.

6 Likes

And I’m all for redoing the election

2 Likes

I am restating this.

It is an open election. Not just a run off between Max and Jayson.

If you were thinking about being Chair of 3D, throw your hat in the ring.

3 Likes

Here is examples of my work in this post

Only those in the 3D Lab are mine.

Hello, I’m Max Kirkland, surely most of you member know me as “the guy who helped me with my 3D print” :slight_smile: I also teach the Polyprinter classes, the 3d printer common fails class and many others in 3d Fab. I am also the current Vice Chairman of 3D Fab and I am asking for you vote.

Jayson Woods, who is the current Vice Chair of Vector is running for Chair as well. If you would like to vote for him his email is [email protected]

Rather than just walking around with a proxies sheet, I thought I would ask here so I could say a few things about why I would make a good chairman.

For the past 6 months Mitch the current Chairman of 3D Fab has had work related issues making him unavailable so I have been providing most of the chairman duties so I know whats involved. I have worked with the board and provided all the expansion details for 3D fab, I have been at all of the 3D fab meeting and clean up days in the past 6 months. I have also provided the scale mock up of the space and worked with committee members to decide on a floor plan and new furniture choices for the new space. As well as reached to the UTA Fab lab and asked for help configuring our octoprint system with octopuppet which would allow for fewer dropped prints and easier tracking of the printer and prints.

What I would like to see done in the future is implement the octoprint system, shield the power and usb cords so there or n o more disconnection issues, train more people to change the filament nozzles have printed out user manuals for Kisslicer so you can look up what EVERY setting does and how you can improve you print. A new sla printer and another PLA printer is also something I would like to see.

I have been working tirelessly in 3d fab for 4 years and I would like to have the chairman’s job so I can make the 3d Fab lam a much more user friendly and RELIABLE workspace.

So I I could pleas have you vote I would appreciate it. Please copy this paragraph below along with your name and e-mail it to [email protected]

**i would like to cast my proxy vote for Max Kirkland in the 2018 3D Fab elections.

I would appreciate your vote and hope I can make 3D fab a faster and more reliable for you. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

3 Likes

I don’t see the committee meeting on the calendar (doesn’t mean it’s not there) nor in the Event queue. That pushes things out to Oct 4th there abouts.

I’d like to THANK all the people who I have talked to, many of whom have been asking really tough questions and hope more do!! I’m looking forward to answering any others!!!

1 Like

A question for both candidates.

What are the most important attributes for a chair in general?

Then specifically, what traits/skills do you think are most important to the governing of the 3D Fab committee?

4 Likes

Question for candidates:

1. What are the major issues that 3d Fab faces?
  • How will you solve these issues?
  • Is this a “downhill solution”, if not why won’t a “downhill solution” work?
  1. How will you ensure uptime on the printers?
  2. What new printing capabilities do you want to add to the DMS?

Downhill solution - A “downhill solution” is a passive system that encourages the correct outcome either by making the ‘right’ thing to do easier than any ‘wrong’ thing or by making a ‘wrong’ outcome immediately clear. Think of your solution as a wheel on hill if to solve the problem you have to push the wheel up the hill eventually you will get tired and the wheel will roll back down the hill. If to solve to problem the wheel needs to roll to the bottom of the hill you might need to give it a nudge to get started but the rest will take care of itself.

Examples of downhill solutions include:

• Shadow boards for tool storage
  • Keyed electrical connectors
  • The placement of the aluminum recycling bin directly below the can crusher in the snack room. (I don’t have a picture)
  • The air exhaust system automatically turning on when the laser is firing in the laser committee.
2 Likes

I think being there for the people who frequent yoiur committee is a good start, being available to help and answer questions is another. My concern with 3d fab as it is, is that past chairs have focused on new and shiny things and not on the older less shiny day to day things like keeping the equipment running on a consistent level.

As far as skills to accomplish these things, I have always been there for people in3d fab, helping with slicing or printer setup. I have been spending a lot of my time as vice chair trying to get the new octopuppet system up and running, I have spoken with the designers of the UTA FAB lab about their octopuppet system and they are wiling to help us out. I also want to shield the USB lines in the new area so that the printers will stop going offline mid print. I do think newer printers are necessary more specifically another SLA printer and more PLA printers but these thing will be AFTER what we have is running reliably and we stop having half our printers down. I have also made myself available for questions and concerns by putting my emails and phone number up on the 3D fab TV screen so members can contact me for questions with their prints 24/7.

I would also like to look into getting air purifiers for the 3d fab area, and at least one small vacuum with a small nozzle to clean the printers after each use.

2 Likes

1: As expansion rolls near what are some of the hindrances that we as the committee can provide help for with you as the chair. Not just moving the equipment that’s a given but also down the line closer to May.

2 this term will be the most strenuous because of the expansion do you honestly think that you can be there for the people mind you I have been in the shoes. You will need help. How do you expect your committee to help you. Some don’t even show to the meeting. I’m not saying that this will be a cakewalk but you will see what I went through. How do you expect to be a thriving committee how do you expect your committee people to show up. To help out.

3 where exactly do you see the future of the EMS 3D Fab not just more printers or getting them situated but actual events with 3D Fab.

1 Like

I think that getting people interested in being involved with the committee is a major factor, the biggest hindrance is APATHY, a friend of mine used to say “You have to get M.A.D.” (Make Apathy Disappear) Once we have a strong committee presence they will be able to help with the day to day upkeep on the equipment, we need more people allowed to replace nozzles and straighten beds, as well as making sure the 3d fab room stays clean (I know it everyone job to keep it clean but a few watchdogs will not hurt.)

In last six months I have been vice chair I have found about a dozen reliable people who can help with the expansion, my schedule during the week is open and at least 2 others are as well including my choice for vice chair. Its not going to be easy, but i have found out in the past with cleanups and meetings that scheduling is important, if you give people as much notice as you can they will show up, our clean up day was a prime example of this.

There will always be new and more interesting printers, I think that other important things are interaction with other committees, public and community service. I would like to see more 3d friendly computer programs, upgrade the 3d scanner, more variety of slicing programs. I would love to be able to go to schools with one or more members and a printer and teach 3d printing to kids, or maybe a library visit or two.

2 Likes

APATHY is the main problem in 3D fab. Everyone wants to come in an print but so many people don’t want to get involved with anything 3D fab beyond that.

Another is on any given day you will come into 3D fab and half the printers are down.

As far as solutions? I want to see more people able to make nozzle changes, level beds, and change bed tape, I also want to see the USB line get some kind of shielding to prevent the printers no connecting or disconnecting during a print (which is about half of the issues with down printers)

How would I get people to care more about 3d fab I think once we can get existing printers up and running constantly more people will became interested in 3d Fab, right now I feel a lot of people look at coming up to 3D fab as a chore something to be dreaded because they don’t know if they will get a printer or it it will print all the way thru, I think once people are happy about going into 3D fab for a project the APATHY will disappear. I would also like to do more member related 3d fab projects like the 10X10 art show, or maybe even sponsoring a massive 3d print for a conventions cosplay contest, something we could get lots of people involved in that they would have fun doing

I would like to see another SLA printer, More PLA printers and keep in stock more verity
of PLA filament like the wax, carbon fiber, graphine, and wood. I would like to upgrade the 3d scanner. Jewelry and small metals have asked for a different castable resin and see no reason not to get the newer and better one

1 Like

Another SLA printer would be nice. Currently we store the trays in the original cardboard box to prevent light exposure of remaining resin. The trays are difficult to remove and replace into the boxes without spillage. Hence, most of the boxes are disgusting to touch and are soaked with uncured resin. Do either of you have any thoughts on how to make the SLA process cleaner?

3 Likes