3D Fab Cleanliness

So, I came in this morning to the fact that the floor in 3D Fab was an absolute mess. I understand that small bits of detritus collect over time, but these were large chunks of plastic and food. Here are two examples:

On top of this, I found half a benchy and several dozen other sizable pieces of failed prints and rafts and support material.
Listen, folks. Gravity is a real thing and the floor is not your trash can. In the above images these are obviously cases where someone trimmed their print and just threw the excess on the ground, and someone who spilled their chips on the floor and then just… decided that was someone else’s problem.
I 100% get that the slobs are just gonna be slobs and no amount of ranting about it on talk is going to directly fix that problem. Instead, there needs to be real consequences for leaving a mess.
Alternately, those of us who aren’t blind to messes need to clean it up as soon as we see it. Sweeping doesn’t take much time. Yes, it’s unfair that you’re having to clean up someone else’s mess, but if you don’t clean it up, then it’s just going to be a bigger mess when someone else finally does.

Any mess that you leave in place, whether you created it or not, is a mess that you are just saying that some other member is going to have to clean instead. We’re members, not customers.

Don’t throw your crap on the floor. If you see someone throwing their crap on the floor, call them out on it. Right then and there. If you come across crap on the floor, please clean it up, even if it’s not your mess. Unless you know whose mess it is, then you’re just saying that someone else needs to do it instead.

2 Likes

I have brought this up with board member 3 or 4 times, the cleaning lady refuses to sweep or mop in 3d fab, I have asked her 2 times directly and have been ignored, on one of the times, (Friday) she said she tried to mop up the black gunk off the floor but was unable to, I got down with come cleaner and a paper towel and got it all clean in under 5 min.

And thank you for sweeping up I saw it this morning on the cam, its much appreciated.

2 Likes

We shouldn’t need her to sweep up in here. We should just be able to keep it clean.

6 Likes

Jason is correct. And the Porter doesn’t answer to anyone but the officers.

Members should be able to clean up after themselves, even if we have a Porter.

I
agree, we cleaned it completely last Saturday for our big clean up, buit without regular sweeping WHICH WE ARE PAYING FOR all the little messes turn into big messes

If people stopped throwing things on the floor, we wouldn’t need sweeping as frequently.

If the board wants to decide to make 3D fab one of the areas that the porter sweeps on a regular basis, that’s up to them, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Most committees are able to not have chips left on the floor.

My whole complaint just has two points:

1. Committees need to hold people responsible for their messes. Part of that is almost certainly education, but another part of it is punishment and publication of that punishment so that people know there are real penalties for leaving a mess.
  2. All members need to clean up. Even if the mess they find isn’t one they created. All members.
4 Likes

A small hand vac would be very handy in getting small debris out of the printers. I routinely throw larger chunks of plastic away. Being in a wheelchair and having one working arm sweeping is not really an option for me, I do think the BOD needs to talk with our cleaning contractor. Stupid and silly that we would have to go that route. But what can you do?

1 Like

we have a small vac and I encourage members to use it and to be clear Jason I am completely agreeing with you, I am just pointing out that by not having regular sweeping like we had in the old space the small messes build uyp

Is it set up where users can get it? If so, where? Pictures would be nice for us Mr. Magoo types.

The cleaning lady is terrified of cleaning around any wires on the floor, and rightly so. High voltage, low voltage, network, or whatever…any wire is potentially hazardous to her. Not just in 3D Fab but everywhere at DMS. So, use a bunch of zip-ties and keep all wires off the floor.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I disagree with this. The trash can in 3D fab is and always has been a tiny handful of steps away. You don’t need to have a trash can within arm’s reach at all times.

Didn’t roomba have an industrial/workshop version? That might have been a few years ago.

Or, maybe get that broom and push it around like all the other depts occasionally? This place runs on members. The answer should never be complaining about the porter…

4 Likes

That’s not as fun as watching a robot

1 Like

it’s a doocracy. I sweep the floors at night every other time I’m there. My experience as a state custodian for 5 years has taught me that most people do not perceive the messes being created. a scrap of plastic here, a tortilla chip there. Often unseen. Until someone else comes by. Often late at night when visual noise quiets down and there’s time to dwell on the floor’s appearance (which is why most custodians work overnights).

Perception is a Whole Other Thing and you are the Other Thing. If you perceive it, fix it. Simple as that. I clean up all the time randomly. Maybe I’ve missed my own mess. I just clean up others messes since I am perceiving them. I hope this was sufficently mind bending enough for you. Squeegee your chakras clean.

FWIW, whenever I’m in a committee area, I always try to take a couple minutes to clean up and leave it better than I found it.

Always what I felt what is meant by “be excellent”…

1 Like

I would love to vacuum the space under the X/Y table on printers when I use them but the current vacuum is not user friendly (plugs in and is heavy) for me to manage it. Perhaps a rechargeable?

Changing the subject, when are the cat5 spools going to be finished?

Re lighter vacuum

Ca got one of those carpet sweeper things that is great for picking up scattered bits on the floor and is very light, not electric, easily used one-handed. Can be wall mounted. And they’re cheap if the committee wanted one

Like this one is $30

Bissell Natural Sweep Carpet and Floor Sweeper with Dual Rotating System and 2 Corner Edge Brushes, 92N0A, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GL1NXU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ecMkEbV48H7PD

Pearce, can logistics get a few more good brooms to spread around the space ? And even more so some good dustpans that stand up? These are super easy for almost anyone to use and make clean up a lot faster.

Quickie Debris Dustpan with Handle, Jumbo Debris Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRTAFKI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O3UkEbSMKT1AV

1 Like