Need help selecting a music system for art room

I 100% agree. If you want to listen to music, bring your own headphones.
With that said, if you’re set on getting speakers for the Arts Room, please make sure a volume max is set - ideally so it can’t be heard in the lecture hall or hallway when the door is closed.

3 Likes

If I could give your first post on this topic 5 stars, I would. You all have very different music tastes than I do. I regret to tell you that I’d rather sit in the machine shop with all the saws running than listen to what you play.

2 Likes

Seems like a good idea to me, to add a different complaint to this thread, why did you ask for opinions instead of just going ahead and ordering it?

1 Like

I feel all warm and cuddly.
Haven’t ordered it. Wanted opinions.
My music is awesome.

2 Likes

I have no doubt. It’s my music that stinks. That’s why it will never be the featured attraction. I will be forced to listen to everyone else’s wonderful music, while my own loathsome music is neglected. Oh! The humanity!

Obviously your music just isn’t expressive enough. Music needs to express deep emotions, like one’s desire for poundcake: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/480100

I propose we start every meeting with German Opera, specifically Das Reingold. Nothing can start a day or a meeting like Flight of the Valkeryies.

I am especially found of the version with E. Fudd’s lyrics.

1 Like

I am totally with Brooks on this one, and that goes for every room, unless
of course everyone in the room is explicitly on board with the music
selection, or there is a class being held specifically for the purpose of
listening to music. Should we add earbuds to go along beside the usb cables
in the kitchen?

@nickdangerous we need a suggestion for a sound system that can fill the art room with lushious sound for under $150. Please pipe in with the ultimate solution I know you have one.

I agree with other posters. Because music is a personal taste, some people like music which I do not. I will simply not participate in a project or space where music is playing that I do not like. It is often played too loud and with commercials neither of which I like. Spend your money on another tool instead. My recommendation is if people want to hear music they should use headphones or earbuds.

2 Likes

I’m good at picking out 2-channel nearfield, 5.1/7.1 surrounds, and high-end headphone rigs… but not necessarily whole-room-PA type systems.

The only kind of “work music” I recommend in mixed environments is ambient/ambient dub/environmental/light classical. Nothing too experimental, no lyrics, and no uptempo/beta-wave pop music rhythms. SomaFM.org Groove Salad channel is a good example of this genre. I often play it in VECTOR when we are disassembling score reels… works well in the background.

Also, many of the classic ambient works by Eno, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Harold Budd, Higher Intelligence Agency, etc… usually mix well for large groups concentrating on various demanding tasks.

Example: http://youtu.be/ODYrD4Qp9Fc

Good: Music for thinking, daydreaming, working, concentrating.

Bad: Music for singing, dancing, exercising, driving violently.

1 Like

I guess I’ll chime in on music then, @nickdangerous your music sucks. Just kidding, instead of forcing my views on all other like the rest of these HATERS, remember the space isn’t always used by just you. Some members enjoy music while working and I’m one of those members. We are social here at DMS and thus noise (or music) is something that is going to happen and is already happening. Wearing headphones isn’t proper for all activities and in many cases gets in the way, especially when trying to be social and communicating. Also, remember that the Arts room is next door to the wood shop, so drowning out the sounds of the router (for mblatz yes this was edited in for comic effect) is not a bad idea, especially at the price point of $150. No way your isolating the room for that cheap.

Well, see, by broadcasting music, you would actually be forcing your views on others.

I’m not sure if I can explain my situation in such a way as to elicit either understanding or empathy, but I’ll try. I defied the Navy over the issue of being forced to listen to certain types of music. I went through Captain’s Mast twice, had a private conversation with the captain of my ship at another time, and then spoke with the task force commander. I was threatened with being put in the brig on bread and water. It was a frustrating experience for everyone involved, and a traumatic experience for me. It was worse and even more important than I’m indicating here, because I don’t want to discuss those kind of details. Suffice to say, I can be nervous around some kinds of music.

I have this speaker and amp combo, plus a nice NFC/bluetooth receiver. For the price these are really good speakers and amp, not too bassy, not overly loud.

1 Like

The sound of a finely engineered and crafted router is music to my ears.

1 Like

:smile: I included the link just for you @mblatz did you not see that in my message??

Thank you everyone for your insight and opinions and humor

1 Like

Yeah, I’m gonna go with Brooks and say this isn’t a good use of DMS funds.
We already have computers, the chromecasts, even our phones…plenty of
ways to get sound to ears.

2 Likes

Though I am a music lover, have very broad tastes in music, and generally play music at home while I’m working on projects, I don’t think it would be good to have music playing in any of the rooms at MakerSpace, for all the reasons listed above.

1 Like