$36 Metal Casting Machine - now what?

So would anyone happen to have access to a high temp non-contact thermometer that preferably would go up to about 4000 degrees F? We are working on a cradle for the flask. We want to be able to measure the temps of the metals in the crucible without contact of a normal pyrometer.

What size/type should the flask be?

Bump. @jphelps reminded me while I was doing my demo at the Plasmacam. I went ahead & cut the pattern for the flask holder. I will bend in on my brake when I get home.

6 Likes

Dammit, Tim. That’s enough of this ‘two birds, one stone’ business. Either demo useless things, or build stuff. You can’t do BOTH!
( :wink: )

1 Like

Multi tasking at it’s finest! Can’t wait to give that thing another go.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Hi nausser915 if you want sell it please let me know… working or not…

We are not interested in selling it at this time.
@TBJK how are we doing with that saddle?

ok Joseph Thank you for your answer… take care your self, inside on it ,have thousands volts accumulator. Don’t care if you disconnected at wall…

Worked a little on the casting machine today. I trimmed the flask down but ultimately it didn’t drop in as I would have liked it to.

5 Likes

Wondering if anyone has a status update on this. Haven’t heard anything in a while and would be glad to pitch in!
JR

I’m in the process of making a cradle for it. The cradle is 304 stainless 14 gauge. I have to TIG weld the cradle arms to the cradle base. The TIG welding machine being repaired and the crazy ass week I had last week. Two dentists visits for the wife, working till midnight on Wednesday & my youngest performance on Thursday night.

5 Likes

So about a half step back. I seemed to have misplaced the setup that needed to be welded. It’s one of those things that’s driving me nuts about where I put it. Thankfully if won’t take much to redo.

4 Likes

Progress, progress. Making some of that.

12 Likes

I finished the cradle up this afternoon. Much closer to getting it running. So we need to get ready to do a test run on it.

11 Likes

@tbjk, @Kati, and I are planning on firing this machine up Wednesday around 4pm for a test run and invite anyone interested.

7 Likes

I’d love to see that, but Wednesday is my late date at work. If someone cancels I’ll try to be there.

BTW I have class at 7 and it is full—6 folks

We will be doing some hammering so it will be noisy and we will be using the
shorter table

Might need to be moved out some or not

I’ll try and make it. May be closer to 4:30 before I can get there.
JR

We had a successful casting! Big thanks to @tbjk for helping make it happen!
20180510_173805|375x500

17 Likes