$36 Metal Casting Machine - now what?

Yes, let’s get some power set up and get the water situation figured out to test that it all works properly @TBJK @Terrence. Once we have confirmed it fires up lets get the ball rolling for a test cast!
@MossAgate @Kati @purpleporpoise

2 Likes

As I mentioned to @nausser915, I would like to donate the casting machine to DMS. I would also like to help with getting it powered up and test it out. Any idea when this might happen? @TBJK @Terrence
Is there somewhere in DFW to get the 5 conductor plug? I could go get it today or Monday. I also have a cheap HF submersible pump we could use.

@MossAgate @Kati @purpleporpoise

I think we purchased an L2130 type plug for the new Lathe online but it might be available locally at something like Grainger.

I googled L2130 DFW, Crawford’s in Irving has a plug for $30 and receptical for $40. Both are in stock, but they closed at noon, but will be open at 6 a.m. Monday.

Is this the right one?

https://www.crawfordelectricsupply.com/c/p-s-l2130-p-turnlok-plug-5w-30a-3ph-120-208v-14611?pageView=image&searchTerm=[Ljava.lang.String;@230%20208&searchEngagement=engaged&rowNumber=9&colNumber=1

https://www.crawfordelectricsupply.com/c/find-a-branch/irving-tx-75038

I think I picked the plug up at Home Depot or Grainger. Look at the plug on the lathe for the number on the plug.

I left a plug and connector on the machine so it can be wired up.

I also left a submersible pump and garden hose to temporarily hook up a water circulation tank. The flow rate of the pump is too high for long-term use. The plumbing details still need to be worked out. Here’s one suggestion. The hose will slip fit into the garden hose and there is one or two pipe clamps too. Cut and use the garden hose as needed (it’s old).

2 Likes

We can lower the flow by valving down to get the temp differential that we need. Of course specs is good to know what flow we need.

2 Likes

@nausser915 @Terrence @TBJK / All, I plumbed some lines together for temporary water-cooling system. I left a 3-gallon bucket to use as a tank, but 5-gallon would be better. There are hose clamps to attach the hoses to the machine. @Team_Machine_Shop and @Team_Automotive would it be okay to roll the machine over into the automotive area and plug it into the metal lathe’s drop cord to do a test run after the electrical plug and water lines are connected? @Team_Infrastructure - an requirements from your side that need to be fulfilled before conducting a test run?

1 Like

I have no objection to testing this so long as everything is hooked back up afterwards. I hope it helps out and everything works.

3 Likes

Someone should do the thermodynamic calcs on this… it’s been a while, but I’m guessing a 3 gallon bucket will not be big enough for a true Pt melting run.

The loading ramp may also have the plug you need - check there also and you’ll have access to a large door if needed.

I can loan a 17 or 27 gallon sturdy container for the test.

No objection from automotive as long as it is temporary.

2 Likes

Going by the rule of thumb, we would need about 2.55gpm & a 340 cfm fan to reject the heat. The heat output is about 85% of 1 ton of cooling. The output would be enough to raise the temp of the water at 5 gallons from 80 to 180 in about 23-24 minutes.

1 Like

Now to turn that water into steam would take an additional 4hrs but there are other variables at that point.

Above it states “20GPH flow rate” which is a lot less than you’re referencing. There’s a disconnect here somewhere. In any event going with a larger storage tank and 15-20 gallons seems prudent.

1 Like

The rule of thumb is about 3 gpm per ton for heat transfer, not sure why I didn’t see the 20 gph

1 Like

OK, so we wired up the plug, swapped the quick connect for a male connector so we could connect into an air line and hooked up the sump pump to just recirculate water.

Water flow: Looks like it’s restricted internally to 20GPH or clogged. Water flow looked like about 20 GPH to me so I think the former is most likely, definitely getting flow though.

Power: We have lights but no joy on heat or rotation.

Pneumatic: I think this drives the coil up/down mechanism and that is working

We cracked the back thinking we’d see something about as complex as a washing machine and instead found this. I recommend obtaining a manual for the machine and verifying we’re operating it correctly and, if so, maybe it has some basic troubleshooting steps to take.

8 Likes

I called the manufacturer in Japan today and they said, they do not have a manual. They referred me to a company called Romanoff, their U.S. dealer. I had already spoken with them on Friday and they do not have anything either. They did offer to have their veteran technician, Richard take a look at it. I sent pictures to them on Friday and I am awaiting a response. I will let ya’ll know what I hear back.

10 Likes

I’m out of town for a week or so but would love to be there for a test run once we’ve got it running (I hope).