$36 Metal Casting Machine - now what?

Yesterday I bought this metal casting machine at a local online auction. Before I dive in to learn how it works (and potentially destroy it), I’m curious to know if the machine may be of value to DMS for Jewelry/Small Metals or another group?

Another thought is to have an educational refurbishment activity something akin to @machineshop lathe project: Lathe Team Progress on the New Lathe

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

1 Like

Yes this would be a great asset, assuming it is in working order and we can get power to it. When do you think you will get your hands on it?

1 Like

Actually I have to remove it from the auction site today. I have someone scheduled to pick it up at noon today. If possible, I would prefer to take it directly to DMS than taking it to Arlington and bringing back to DMS at a later date. If it works, we can sort out the donation details. Will the possible lack of power at DMS be a show stopper? I’m nearly clueless when it comes to AC power, so I’ve tagged a few teams and members, in hopes they msy have suggestions or help with the diagnostics/initial startup of the machine.
@Team_Infrastructure @Team_Logistics @Team_Electronics @TBJK @artg_dms

I found a manual for a newer model of yhis machine at http://www.romanoff.com/help-info/product-related/product-manuals
Look for:
Tanabe TCP-3250/TCP-3300 Casting Machine Manual

1 Like

Holy moly! That’s an expensive machine!

2 Likes

It needs 3 phase power. A single 20amp service should be fine.

2 Likes

Just bring it on up and let’s take a look at it. You may have to slide the table over, but there should be some room to drop it off there. I will be up there later to take a peek.

1 Like

Wow… looks like this actually casts Platinum!!! That’s kinda crazy, and based on my reading of the instruction manual,

THIS NEEDS A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF COOLING WATER

Just thought I should put that out there.

Actually, further reading in the manual showed not quite as much water as I expected.

Requirements:

Pressure: 30-45PSI
Flow: 20GPH (80L/hr)
Temp: 40-105F (5-40C)

This is a problem since we do not have water connections in the shop.

We can make a cooler for it, if it needs it.

6 Likes

We have had a slight change in plans. The casting machine will delivered tonight or tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. The electrical cord was “hard wired” into an electrical box, so it will need to be wired to a box at DMS or an electrical plug attached to it.

1 Like

I agree. If needed we can recirc water from a barrel using a pump.

Delivered! @nausser915 Next step power it up?

Is it regular 110v?

220v, 3 phase, 20 amp [quote=“TBJK, post:5, topic:23265, full:true”] @TBJK says:
It needs 3 phase power. A single 20amp service should be fine.
[/quote]

1 Like

Would hate to see a 30 phase plug! :wink:

2 Likes

Haha…you got me!

3 phase , 20 amp

1 Like

I’d suggest we wire it up to a plug; it will make life easier. We may have a few in the Machine Shop cabinet if I remember correctly or possibly with Infrastructure.

20 GPH doesn’t sound bad to me at all. What’s a typical job run-time though? I’ve no idea.

I should have some grundfos pumps here soon that we can use. They are 115volt. we would need a 5 conductor plug. The drop would need to be the same. Machine shop unfortunately doesn’t have that style plug. Unless we took the old one off the old lathe before it was sold.

Wow can that actually cast platinum? titanium? hahaha nice score

1 Like