3 Pin Connector ID and Removal

Hi all. I m curious, what is the name of this connector? And is there a removal tool that makes it easier to remove the pins vs lifting up the tab on each pin?

The replacement fans on my 10Gbe RJ45 cards are difficult to find, and I’d like to upgrade them with Noctua fans.

If it were me, I’d splice the wire instead. With a connector that small, and no easily known replacement, just cut the wires off as close as you can to the fan body (so you have more room to work with) and splice.

2 Likes

I usually just use a Wiha 2.0 mm flat head to get things like those out. If you are bend on finding an extractor, it helps to find the exact manufacturer.

Example a Philmore Molex style extractor wont work easily with some TE Mate-n-Lok components.

Cut the blue wire!

Those connectors are JST brand. They are only good for a few insertions and extractions before they break.

1 Like

Mini Micro JST

They make extraction tools for this type of connector, but unless you replace a lot of them it’s really not worth the expense.

I use a small bench vise to hold the connector then press the catch down with a jewelers screw driver and pull the pin out

On that one I slightly lift the plastic tab and the pin slides right out. It’s different from the Molex ones where you push the tab down.

I have the Engineer PA-09 and PA-20 crimpers if you need to crimp a replacement, I can bring them to the space for you to use.

@Raymond Thanks for the offer. I really just want to pull off the connector first so I can test the fan…otherwise, if I truly move to replacing the fans with something more readily available, I think I’ll go ahead and splice the wires.

I’m always hoping to expand my toolset for the odds and ends I come across, but it really difficult to keep up with all the connectors and crimper types!!!

1 Like

That’s why I like the Engineer crimpers. They work with a huge variety of connectors.

The mini micro JST connectors are too small for my fingers so I use the round nose jewelry pliers at 90 degrees from wire between the plug and connector. With a light squeeze and a rocking motion on the plug even stubborn plugs come out without damage. The round jaws are easy on the connectors and provide a slight wedge to get them apart.