3/4" uMatic Deck

Does DMS have a 3/4" uMatic deck? If not, does anyone know where I might borrow or rent one (at a reasonable rate–a few places around town that I’ve found have one, but want $150+/hour). I have several old tapes that I’d like to look through first, then convert to digital, but I don’t want to convert all of them, so I need to view them first.

I have a couple of BVU-800s, with the BVT-800 timebase correctors, although I’m not sure if either is in 100% working condition, as I haven’t used them in quite a while.
If you don’t want to deal with that situation, you might look into the Dallas Community TV studios. I think the membership fee is pretty small, & I seem to recall that they have a U-Matic among their suite of ingestion options.

Thanks for the quick response. The BVU-800 sounds ideal, if you think at least one of the decks is workable (without damaging the tapes). I just need one and I don’t need the TBC, since I’m not trying to edit, just view. But if you think it would be a major project, it may be more than I want to bite off.

The community TV studio sounds interesting, too, but a quick Google search didn’t turn up anything that looked like what you’re describing. Do you have a link, by chance?

I don’t think there’s any danger of the tape being damaged. The worst that’s likely to happen is that the machine would fail to playback properly. I have several tapes of no particular value which can be used for safety testing.

Dallas Community TV Web Page

OK. I’d be willing to give it a try. Let me know how/when–my schedule fairly open.

PS - Thanks for the link, but that one is in Washington DC. :slight_smile:

Oh, for corn’s sake!

1 Like

I’ve got one that has been sitting in my office for 10+ years now. It worked the last time I powered it up, but there’s a pretty good chance that it’s a boat anchor at this point. I’ve got a few tapes knocking around too (stupid college projects good for a laugh maybe) that I should didge off too.

If either of you want to try to resurrect it, I should get my tapes copied off and regain the space that this thing takes up.

Edit: I’m pretty sure it’s A Sony VO-9850 the overall workhorse of that generation.

I’d be willing to spend a little time on it. Let me know when you’ll be at the space next.

Just to follow up, thanks to both of you for offering, but in the interest of time, I ended up going to uEdit Video in Richardson and paid them to dub the tapes to digital files.