3/4” black iron pipe source (gun metal color)

I’m looking for local sources of 3/4” metal pipe to be used for guard rails and a ladder for a bunk bed design. Black iron pipe used for gas is the obvious choice as there are lots of fitting and flanges however a quick trip to Home Depot suggest it’s a pure black. I was really looking for something closer to a gun metal grey as opposed to a pure black for asthetic reasons. I’ve seen examples online but I’m looking for a local store where I can look at inventory. I’ll probably visit a couple plumbing supply houses.
Any suggestions on the metal or stores?

Finally, does the makerspace have a threading set for 3/4inch?

Thanks,
Joe

We can probably thread it. We have a pipe threader. Not sure about the color, I think it is a mill varnish.

A good article on blackening steel

If you can’t I have 3/4” dies and a manual threader. Fine for a few pieces.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Know of a good local shop where I can view the inventory?

Not sure what you mean. I thought you wanted to use black pipe because it was readily available at Home Depot and you wouldn’t need to weld anything. That is why people usually use it. If you want an actual steel supplier then I recommend King architectural metals, coremark, or Garland Steel. The first two have good websites.

@TBJK where did you get the pipe for the airlines? That would be a good supplier

There are a lot of suppliers. Galvanized is probably the closest you will get to gun metal grey.

Altex Pipe & supply
Romar
Winston Water Cooler
Morrison

Another idea is you can get rigid 3/4 conduit as it has similar dimensions & can be cut/threaded like black pipe. You might be able to get it at Home Depot too

Cant say who will take orders without an account. If I had to guess they likely will allow cash counter sales.

Keep in mind that if you get galvanized, you can not work it at the Makerspace with any hot process’s. If you take

IIRC from my days as a hardware store clerk, most black pipe is ductile iron (not steel) and it’s blackened by coating with paraffin, oil, or an organic varnish and heated up to at least dull red. The blacksmithing folks could probably tell you as I think it may be used as a soft iron feed-stock. If you remove the finish you get an almost cast iron gray appearance.

Cast iron/ductile iron pipe is for wastewater and drains. It has been almost completely replaced by PVC. Home Depot sells black pipe typically used for natural gas lines in residential houses. Black pipe is steel. Cast is far too brittle.

1 Like

Turns out we are both right, but you’re more correct than I am. Most of the black pipe sold at home centers and hardware stores is “Malleable Steel” so very soft. The Ductile Iron is a cast process but it’s not brittle cast iron, the composition results in a relatively soft malleable material. Both are approved for gas pipe use in many jurisdictions.

Things have evolved since I worked retail hardware in the early 1970’s. Imagine that. :crazy_face:

1 Like