2mm thick panels on the Haas

No one said “low quality”. Low Quantity - as in just a few of them. And CAD changes are easier in my experience than jig changes.

Also “Learn to use the Hass” is on my list.

THAT in essence is machining. The HAAS, the plasma, the Multicam are not magic bullets. Things often take more than one operation which are best done by splitting them on several machines

2 Likes

I can relate. I have a part I want to make specifically to learn to use the Haas, too. In reality, I could buy a commercial part for $40, and just face down one end of it on the Bridgeport … but I will learn so much more doing it on the Haas.

2 Likes

It’s actually a much more straightforward clean approach. Your idea seems simple on paper but the devil is in the details.

Let me ask you, what would a manufacturer do.

A. Take 1 hour per a part blue taping and super gluing each part while making sure everything is perfectly flat and chip free all while not trying not to break any small endmills.

B. Plasma cut out 50 parts in the same amount of time stack them up onto a drill jig for the smaller holes and drill them all at once.

As far as quality goes that is really all a matter of how much quality you want to apply to the approach, if you put shit in you will get shit out. There is no reason the parts with a plasma cutter and drill jig couldn’t look immaculate.

1 Like

Yeah, me included…

I think you’re overestimating the difficulty of using the laser and underestimating the complexity of the Hass. Not all “CNC” machines are created equal.

One thing I’d like to note. In the past there has been discussion about how few people actually finish the training and learn to use the Hass.

I come here, propose what should be a simple project - as Hass projects go - noting up front that fixturing will be an issue. One of the replies is finally “Here’s how to do the fixturing”. Most are “Use that other tool”.

On this one, maybe you’ve convinced me that the Shapeoko is a better solution. And I do still have a domino to make first before the Hass becomes a possibility. If I want super high quality, and very very easy, I can just draw these things up in Front Panel Express’s tool and send them money. Kinda not the point.

But is this REALLY that bad a project to do - as a skill building exercise - on the Hass ?

At least it’s something I have a use for and an interest in, completely unlike the domino. The domino is really uninspiring to me at least. More of a roadblock, but such is the process.

I got caught in the CAD changeover on the Hass training, so I have to back up an learn some stuff, but I do want to learn to use that machine. There seems to be an awful lot of “No no. That’s too hard” going on. And yes, I have taken the class, and I DO have a reasonable estimation of the big picture at least. Learning the fiddly details is one of the points of this exercise.

I apologize for responding earlier with a tangent. I understand (and share) your desire to learn the Haas.

You could do a fixture jig if you intend on making many of them.

Ill have to admit that I’ve been kinda lazy myself to do my domino. I did my cad for it but not the CAM yet.

1 Like

It’s not terrible but as an essentially 2D project that’s mainly an exercise in workholding, it’s not great either.

Like Nick said, machining is all about using the right tool/process for the job, and this isn’t it. But if you just want to use a CNC mill, knock yourself out.

Not a problem.

This seemed like a place to start after the domino. I don’t think I want project #2 to be something overly complex.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for Shapoko classes. Could be handy.

1 Like

I’m going to start over by going thru Walter’s class instructor notes.

Might be a good group project if we can find some time when we’re both at the space.