2021 Ceramics Committee Meeting Agendas

Conor used to do drop-off service…

1 Like

I think he still might do that. I however do not plan on being the delivery person on this idea.

2 Likes

This. This is one of the reasons why we’ve discussed selling clay, however, it’s more geared to sell to new members who are ready to get started vs. older members. It is my understanding that we will sell it at $1 per lb to new members.
It does benefit the space because it encourages nonmembers & new members who are trying out the space (and clay) to get more involved with less hoops to jump through i.e. having to go to to Trinity during not so convenient hours to purchase clay. @yashsedai If you purchase several pounds of clay, you will be more motivated to use and make which equates, we hope, to joining the space.

@JBluJkt- we aren’t taking over or discouraging them from going to Trinity- Connor is helpful and a partner. We are trying to make that initial leap of involvement (of those who want it) easier and more convenient. We will encourage them to go to Trinity (or other ceramics supplier) for other clay.

2 Likes

I think the main issue with the slip casting table (the one that I’m hearing about from numerous members) is that it takes up “valuable real estate in the area”. The second issue is that it’s not being used and need some repair.

Lastly, regarding the “who would like to spearhead a revving interest” -historically, we’ve all had lots of ideas but there has been little execution.

We have vinyl for purchase and use along with glass for purchase and use. We also have glazes available for use, why not clay?

Is it simply a matter of calling it a donation to ceramics or a purchase of class materials vs a sale of clay?

We planned on buying clay in bulk so we get the reduced pricing to have it available for classes and if wanted, students could have what they needed to work on their own for a $1 a pound. This would also ensure we have future funds to repurchase class clay.

We’ve also talked about charging a materials fee for classes and providing students with that fees worth of clay. $10 and receive 10 lbs for use in class and outside of class. How would this be different than say any of the other classes that charge for materials?

I’m confused as to why you feel we need to worry about sales tax when I do not see other groups charge a tax for supplies.

The logistics of storing and managing the inventory is part of the ongoing discussion.

2 Likes

Mainly because when DMS buys things as an entity we don’t get charged tax as a non profit. You’ll hear no complaint from me about class materials. My issue comes when people wanna utilize DMS as a bulk buyer and benefit from the process. Why should DMS have to take on the organizational headache of buying something in bulk for resale to its members? It’s easy to say the committee will do it, but the committee isn’t the ultimate responsible party for when these things have to be dealt with. In essence, if bulk clay users wanna get together to make a big purchase great. If DMS needs materials for classes great. Let’s not co-mingle business and personal.

1 Like

I’m more reacting to this as a past treasurer for the organization. Committees decide to do this without EVER discussing the ramifications with the finance team and NEVER help with the workload it produced. Could not even get them to produce some numbers about the QTY of sales. Just wait until it is your ass trying to support an audit without any real numbers! Thanks but no thanks!

4 Likes

A video 101, or not having to wait for classes to actually use the area is less hoops. A simple YouTube could suffice, would benefit the newbies better than selling them clay at 200% markup, and making them wait for a class. Historically no one has ever been hurt or broken anything. Allen couldn’t even find one injury report on a wheel at all on the intrawebs. That would also benefit the general fund, and membership. Not just ceramics.

I’m all for someone else hauling my clay around at .30 a pound, the sale price. If we decide todo this, imo it should benefit the membership not turn them into customers.

Free and recycled clay was a thing pre covid for anyone new to the area. Leftover from classes and or ppl throwing.

1 Like

I would love being able to buy (acquire in exchange for a donation) a small chunk of clay from the ceramic committee so that I can have some to play around with.

I am definitely not into it enough to hike over to a clay business during work hours.
And while he could help me pick the right thing, it’s a lot easier to NOT buy the WRONG thing when it’s coming directly from us. (see also: buying the wrong kind of glass for fusing)

5 Likes

This perspective is valuable and should be considered. The intent of selling clay isn’t to make more work for others, as it’s meant to increase membership.

lol you’re not a newbie. You’re a long term member who is a seasoned clay artist.:slight_smile: were not about peddling cheaper clay to you and others who are already members.

1 Like

I think we’ve been reusing the clay from throwing classes but that’s something for us to look at for sure.

1 Like

FYI you can repurpose it back to storage since it was never officially accepted and is t a working asset. Doesn’t need a vote. Serves no purpose. It’s just furniture at this point.

Pre reopening we actually made a large solid wedging table for that spot. It’s located outside the double doors.

1 Like

Agree. Many committees sell consumables. The unwritten DMS consumables philosophy seems to be providing reimbursable consumables so someone who needs just a bit of something doesn’t have to invest in a whole package. Most people figure out quickly that if they want a whole lot of something, or an exotic item, it’s more practical to get it themselves.

Creative Arts is a good example of consumable sales; dye sub paper, vinyl, embroidery thread, leather supplies, resin …

Clay is onerous for new users because you’d have to buy a big, honking heavy package of clay just to make one item. I’d like to play with it a little, occasionally, but not enough to buy a 50 pound container.

7 Likes

If there is enough interest & y’all want to keep it. I’m willing to fix it.

4 Likes

It actually works now. When I asked to order parts to replace hoses and cord there was no interest. Could quasi work with a trip to Autozone for some 3/4 hose. Few lose bolts.

2 Likes

I do not know anything about these tables. I did slip casting in college but we did not have a fancy table.

So does it have to be run periodically or can it sit for a week or two with slip in it?

Do you have to take all the slip out when you are done using it?

How much slip do you have to put in the table to make it run.

How many molds would you need to fill to make it financially worth filling the table with slip?

Is the ceramics committee going to be providing the slip to fill it?

Well, technically we should. When we first got the molds, we bought a gallon of slip so that we’d have the Cone 6 slip available. And folks using our slip were supposed to pay. We were going to mark the molds as to the cost to fill that mold. I don’t think that ever happened, and the folks that were using the molds were apparently good with buying their own slip.

I don’t know how many gallons it would take to make the pouring table “work”.

1 Like

About half to pour mold and run. It prolly holds 30-40g it could be fitted to run off your own 5g bucket. It’s a Slipmaster Pouring table. A smaller 30g vertical reclaimer would suit the space better imo.

3 Likes

Please add to agenda:
To insure tools are ready for classes, teachers should be responsible for making sure throwing kits and handbuilding kits are in proper order before placing back in teachers cabinet. :+1:

5 Likes