2021 Ceramics Committee Agenda for May 4

May 4. @ 6:30

1. Tshirt slogans -GET CENTERED (update)
  2. Open items
  3. Special Firing request for June
  4. Praise for potters (April)
  5. Grocery list (ordered 4 texture rollers)
  6. Elections ** Who would like to join me in tossing their name in the hat for Chair?

Upcoming events/News
Can’t make it in person?
meet.google.comMeet
Or dial: (US) +1 727-502-6481
PIN: 708 802 187#

1 Like

I am running for a second term.

6 Likes

how often do we vote on a new chair it feels like we did that recently

Semiannually, half-yearly, every six months, or in time for May & November BoD meetings (or as directed by the BoD):

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Chair_Elections

4 Likes

5 Likes

Didn’t we have an election for Chair like 5 secs ago?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding to the agenda:
Shelving sitting in front of lapidary needs to be protected from water spraying when machines are being used.

Sweet, maybe another case for shower curtains.

Yes!! Good idea. I think i have one and some magnets already :+1:

1 Like

Can we add an item to discuss dipping glazes?

Sure! Are you inquiring about adding a few to inventory, a sig, or a dip glaze event?

This topic has been discussed before by various members, however, no member has stepped in to own and spearhead the effort. In order to conserve our time since this topic has been discussed previously, please make sure to bring your plan complete with the who, what, when, where, why etc.

Who will maintain the dipped glazes?
How will you prevent them from contamination?
Where will they go?
What glazes do you think we should purchase?
When will they be refreshed?
How much do they cost?
How will this contribute to an increase in membership?

Speaking of shower curtains ( or whatever), when I was shifting the leftover glazed ware to the middle shelf last week, I noticed that the bottom 2 shelves (or maybe just the very bottom shelf) is open to the work area behind us.

Granted, we’re about to be able to move the kilns (any day now!), and this will be moot.

Will look at it tonight before meeting and put the other one up also :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Amanda, thanks for the detailed reply. I’m talking about adding some buckets and tongs so we can dip our items into glaze instead of always brushing them on. I think we would need a class to along with new procedures/tools/equipment.

I’ve spoken to several people about this and they’ve all recommended I bring it up at the next meeting. I don’t presume to have the right answers but hopefully what I’ve compiled below can put us on a path forward.

I can volunteer to maintain them or set up a sig.
We can prevent contamination through training and clear instructions, the same way we currently maintain that the individual glazes are not contaminated when people use more than one color (with the same brush/before letting glazes dry).
I think we can begin by using storage space under the slab roller.
Refreshing can happen bimonthly or as needed, we should see what demand is like and what’s needed.
I have found suppliers that sell 5lb of dry mix (to make about 80 oz of glaze) for about $35. Shipping would depend on source. (one retailer I found: http://www.clay-king.com/glaze/maycostoneware.htm)

I think there’s some dissatisfaction with the unreliability of brush-on glazes and the relative experience required to get a consistent result. I think new joiners will stick with it longer if glazing were as straightforward as the potters we follow online or read about.

1 Like

Wiki updated with notes from meeting…enjoy

Ceramics Committee Meeting 5-4-21 - Dallas Makerspace

5 Likes

Awh… thanks! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

To item 7 for the raku event. That’s an awesome idea. It will need to be a weekend event, we can’t do week day parking lot events.
There are some safety things with regards to fire protection and the handling of the propane tanks, but blacksmithing has already worked that all out. You will probably need to put some fire brick down under the kiln to protect the parking lot.
Talk to them and they can help you get the whole thing organized. Also you may be able to borrow their tent for some shade if it’s a hot day.

4 Likes

@Liamluu here you go!!

Thanks Jimmy! Sounds good! Is there anyone in @Team_Blacksmithing would kindly walk me through their process? Or who I should contact. TIA

The kiln I’ll be using will be off the ground so it won’t affect anything underneath. I will have a propane tank with a 12 feet hose that will be far away from the flame. We will likely hold the event at night on a weekend when it’s cooler.

I think this event will get people interested and excited about the ceramic space!

6 Likes

The tank line sounds more than adequate, IMHO. I’d still worry about radiant heat from the bottom of the kiln, even though it has legs. Fire brick (or even plain bricks/pavers) sounds like cheap insurance.

From a belt and suspenders perspective, I’d set the kiln up near an expansion joint corner in the parking lot concrete: in the highly unlikely event that you should have an issue/spalting, you’d only have to replace the corner of a slab.

2 Likes