2019 Maker Fair Followup for the Vendors

I really should have thought of that for the Pillar of Solitude room. We had a few moments where we commented to each other how quiet it was, but for whatever reason it didn’t occur to me to fix that.

3 Likes

My takeaways as follows:

It was definitely better advertised this year, I had a healthy non stop flow of folks until about 4, it felt like a good amount of outside folks came by which was nice, so yes, lets shoot for $20 next time and pump that advertising a little. I also promoted on my social media and gave a lot of word of mouth.
I doubled my sales this year. last year all my sales were members, but this year it was about 50/50. and I made some last minute smaller items that didn’t get touched, most sales were larger items this go round. :man_shrugging:

Since the efficacy of advertising was questioned, is there a way to compile the responses on visitor waivers for the “how did you hear about is” section?

1 Like

@yashsedai can chime in on this but since 1st time visitors had to complete waivers, yes. However I can tell you from sitting up front not everyone understood the purpose of the waivers or what DMS was. Often Fred asked and most 1st time visitors heard via Facebook. Many others had been by DMS before via tours but never became members. I also had 3 people total from other Makerspaces when giving tours.

4 Likes

I don’t sell stuff, but I came and bought stuff. I have always held the belief that if someone is working at making a living as an artist, they have something I like and I can afford, I support them by buying. there’s also the saying I saw at the Wimberley Flea Market once:

SURE you could make it yourself.
But WILL you?

Sure, someday I hope to punch the registration buttons fast enough to get into one of @Lordrook’s dragon egg classes. will I? Who knows… But I tell you what. I regretted not buying one from him at the 2018 fair ALL YEAR. And promised myself that if he had any for sale this year, one would be going home with me. And I did!

I think that a mere $10 price increase for advertising is kind of unrealistic; if it was the 24 artists originally projected, you’re only generating $240 for advertising, and that won’t go very far… I would also opine that while we certainly have a plethora of chairs to have available, the DMS table selection is not equal. Some tables are 8’ long, some are 6’ long. Some are 18” wide, some are 30” wide. When you factor in BYOTables, you add more size options from TV tray options up to pretty dang big. Obviously someone with one of the big 8’x30” tables in Interactive has a lot more product display space than someone who brings their own 24”x48” table to use in the Pillar of Solitude. And I noticed some had brought in additional display racks to augment their table.

Therefore, I think the pricing should be based (1) on linear display floor space required and (2) If using DMS-owned table(s), a rental fee for that (call it a convenience fee; you don’t want the schlepping hassle, you pay an up-charge).

I also agree with the opinion that spaces should be mapped out in advance, allowing vendors to choose/reserve their space at time of payment. that way, the vendors who will be “solo” like @BarkingChicken was this year could choose a spot next to someone they know who can cover when a break is needed.

I also think it would be nice to consider options for makers with stuff like furniture. For example, @jeffbob makes BEAUTIFUL side tables using reclaimed wood (live edge and otherwise) and salvaged/reclaimed bases. The guy that welded the Christmas tree out of car parts last year? I’d have loved to own one of his hat racks. maybe even Committee stuff like the bells and such the blacksmiths made for the Lewisville event…

As far as doing an off-site thing, I don’t think it’s realistic. My personal observation is that there is a huge disconnect between what people opine we should be doing (Ideas) vs what can actually be accomplished (follow-through). in other words, Lotsa people who want the RESULTS, but aren’t willing to expend the time and effort that the preparation and execution will require to get there.

4 Likes

I happened to get placed, in the exact same spot 3 years in a row now. Can I claim right of first refusal on it going forward!! :slight_smile:

You make an interesting point about the tables. I brought my own, which I volunteered to do, and used the space I had for what I needed. It didn’t even occur to me that the spaces were different sizes. I mean, it would not bother me if someone had more space than I did. I suppose that’s the kind of thing that isn’t a problem, until someone takes advantage of it!

1 Like

Tonight a new vendor made a valid observation that we really need to keep in mind in GENERAL. She was embarrassed by the condition of the common room (stuff piled on the tables and floor, making it look like a homeless encampment) and an unusually unkempt galley/kitchen. When our guests had to walk through this disarray.

We probably need to make a point to take off the “we’re used to it” blinders and see the pathway to an event or a tour the way a visitor or potential new member sees it, and tidy up accordingly. This is a LOT more important than the worn carpeting or the appearance of the paint on the walls.

9 Likes

To address the question of an outside venue, we might try talking to the Deep Ellum Art Company. They already do a number of market days, and if we arrange something far enough in advance I’m pretty sure we could do one in partnership with them where DMS members had first priority of getting table space.

5 Likes

I was very pleased with the traffic and sales. A huge thank you to all who volunteered.

5 Likes

Fantastic idea! I’ll reach out to them about us doing an event and see what they are willing to do.

1 Like

This was my first show, as soon as I saw it in the event s calendar I signed up. I believe Nick is certainly correct that early planning and development are key to a successful show. Plus paying a little more for a table to help with an advertising budget is a great idea.
I do disagree with the comment that if the show is not at DMS it’s not a DMS show. WE ARE DMS and wherever we go it’s a DMS show.
As I mentioned to Beth (by the thanks again for all you did) another great holiday to do a show would be for Mothers Day. I saw so many Mom related crafts, along with other things that could be retooled that a Mom would love.
Maybe those of us who would like to do more, bigger and maybe create better shows, should come together and brainstorm for Mother’s Day but certainly next years small business Saturday’s show.
I don’t know how to bring us together it’s all to digital for this analog guy. But I’m willing to put in the time and effort to help all of our creator’s show off their wares and grow this event.

3 Likes

Spring show. I know the Ren Faire is a big show. But curious, how many DMS vendors were there at this year’s show that show at Ren Faire? How many would not attend DMS becuase they are at Ren Faire? How many would would still attend that attended the last DMS show? How many new vendors might there be? It would be great to see these events grow to fill Interactive - Lecture - Pillar.

I ask, because if the vast majority would still attend, the I think it should still be considered. It’s not cheap to do the Ren Faire and those folks tend to do it for a number of days, while a lot of DMS vendors are just dipping their toes into the market and it’s just a single day.

This isn’t any sort of diss for those that are showing elsewhere, but if it is a small number, then perhaps it should be thought about. Start the group to organize it, pick a date by early January, and get the promotional strategy going early. (Getting a true strategy developed will make subsequent ones much easier) .

I’m more than willing to take part in organizing and helping as I was the lead on the first one we had - not so much the PR side but sign-ups, room organization, etc. It is growing. I personally think one in May would be great. Not only Mother’s Day’s - but gifts for the many Grads in out lives.

We traditionally have had our Open House in the Fall - seems to be a ton of conflicts then. What about having Open House & Maker Made in early May before all the graduations start. This would let visitors see all the cool things people make, have increased traffic for sales, and for those visitors that would like to sell or thinking about it - might be a motivator to join.

2 Likes

On a similar note, were there any DMS Makers who did NOT sign up for this past show (on Nov 30th) because it was the same weekend as First Monday in Canton?

I know of at least two DMS members who do/did have a booth there. Avoiding similar overlaps in future planning would improve participation as well as reduce competition for buyers’ eyeballs.

1 Like

Pick any weekend there will be a conflict somewhere. Just have to decide which works best for the maximum number of DMS Makers that want to be vendors.

4 Likes

I would like to point out a misconception. We did actually spend money on advertising for this event. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Re DMS folks that have renfair shops

Pretty sure it’s just me and Beth/Capt. Two. I mentioned elsewhere that since renfair falls during prime spring show time, while appreciated, I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to accommodate those of us with renfair shops (only two I think) to the detriment of good timing for a dms spring show

Re DMS folks that attend renfair
Well lots more of those, but the renfair is eight weekends, 17 possible days, and rarely does someone come every day (I guess some might) Some do come every weekend. The point is, if a show is just Saturday, even for die-hard renfair patrons, they can come on Sunday or skip a day.

Re other shows and happenings in area (brought up elsewhere)
That time of year, it’s prime craft show season so there’s ALWAYS competing events. But we have a lot of folks that live in DFW so it’s all good. Best thing is just advertise as much as reasonable and get the word out to the right crowd

Ha. At the renfair, we joke around with “what’s the excuse this weekend” if it’s a weird/light crowd. There’s always weather of course. Then there’s Main Street festival in ftworth (and usually coincides with crap weather for bonus). Then Byron Nelson. Before they moved the date, we could predict the weather by when it was scheduled (rain). I get now how farmers almanacs could predict stuff. It’s weird but true once you are that invested and paying attention to weather year after year. And now the end of Sherwood overlaps beginning of Scarborough. It’s always something. But if they don’t come one weekend, it’ll be a different one and it averages out. No biggie.

Main takeaway is I think plan for best date and let chips fall where they may. It’ll be beneficial for the largest number of people

1 Like

My fault. Sorry.

FYI: apparently, the Parks Corp offices over by the toll road has a venue suitable for art events.

3 Likes

Thank you to @dryad2b and everyone who worked hard to make this show happen.

I didn’t know about the bread and butter items, so I didn’t have any. I did make one sale, which covered the cost of the table.

Almost everyone who saw my booth was a maker, and so for that reason, I might not devote a full day to another one of these at the space. When everyone asks you how you did it, and comments that they make pens or want to take a pen making class, it makes me feel like the buyer demographics are way off.

I would be interested in being part of a DMS booth somewhere where there aren’t a lot of makers.

The event was a nice way to spend a day with friends and see what everyone makes. Sales, not so much (for me, anyway).

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone who organized and set up and publicized the show. I find it a good show for me, with my jewelry. I have items in various price ranges, and some are things that people don’t expect to be able to complete in one class, so I sell to makers as well as non-makers. It also gives me an opportunity to talk about the classes I (and others) teach and encourage people to sign up.
I appreciate the opportunity to use a DMS supplied table, as it is physically difficult for me to haul in tables. I would pay a small additional convenience fee for this, like $10. Would also pay an additional $10 towards publicity, if that would get us more. But for a one day show, I would not like to pay a lot more. When setting up the spaces, it would be great if there were a little more room behind the table for us to sit. It has been cramped every year I have done it. I realize we don’t have a lot of room, but maybe?
I would be very interested in a spring show. For Mothers Day, the first weekend in May would be ideal. Mothers Day being the second Sunday in May.
Again, thanks to everyone who helped organize this.

4 Likes