20180815 Woodshop Meeting - Pine ban discussion

I think they converted the old committee pages into categories, so all associated things will be at the bottom.

Also, the area and tools rules are something that is required to be on the wiki.

Apparently notā€¦

1 Like

Wild West woodshop. No rules, no training required.

2 Likes

And more importantly than all that, no ā€œmost available wood in use todayā€ because itā€™s sticky.

Iā€™m with you, they make this stuff called simple green, cleans stuff right up! And yes, if need be I am prepared to help if it removes the banā€¦

1 Like

I think you underestimate how quickly the jointer/planer gets gummed up and how long it takes to clean.

The yellow pine ban is only on those two tools. If people donā€™t like the ban they are more than welcome to get involved and come to woodshop meetings and express their thoughts.

1 Like

FYI ā€¦ Iā€™m more than happy to update the wiki if someone can list the rules for the areas and the tools

1 Like

I dont understimate it. Having planed and jointed syp plenty elsewhere. It is a weekly cleaning at worstā€¦

1 Like

ā€¦and volunteer for the cleaning squadā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, this is correct. Southern yellow pine is marked SYP on the barcode and receipt, and the types of framing lumber that are allowed are marked KDFIR, or SPF at places like Big D Lumber, which stands for spruce/pine/fir, because it could be any of the three species, but is specifically not SYP. Since there is so much disagreement on this topic, I put it to another vote at my first committee meeting as chair, and it was voted unanimously that we re-allow southern yellow pine on all the machines except ā€œthe millersā€ (jointer/planer). The type of wood in question is not intended to be milled further. Framing lumber is usually only subject to exposure to a miter saw, nail-gun and (maybe) a table saw. I put several hundred board feet of lumber from Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas in the first four vertical stalls outside the woodshop for anyone to use. There are many species available, but none of them are pine of any sort. This wood is available for free to all makers who have completed woodshop basics. I only ask that you take only what you need for your projects and donā€™t fill up your storages. Share and be excellent!

9 Likes

That is on my agenda for today, but thank you for the offer. I just found out how to create a new wiki page two or three days ago.

3 Likes

I have no idea what was done hereā€¦

You can see in the history what I did: added verbiage about how to make your page be in the category:

Then Dwight did something that added a shyte tonne of content to the category page (which seems unnecessary, and wide-spreadā€¦):

content omittedā€¦

Then changing ā€œcommitteeā€ to ā€œcommitteesā€ā€¦

I have no idea what these changes were intended to do, or why they were made (other than mine, which seems self-explanatory). I suspect it was part of the project which appears to me to have been intended to subvert the ā€œmeetingsā€ page and many like it to cluttered messesā€¦

I am not aware of having personally made any changes other than possible a few trivial updates, but nothing structural or systemic. Iā€™m guessing that @denzuko can answer the question better than I can.

Let me look into that but only changes Iā€™m aware of where adding the feature for committee pages had an index of anything pages with their category tag.

Unless Iā€™m missing something thereā€™s nothing showing up on the wiki for a woodshop meeting after 2016/05/17.

This is a picture.

5 Likes

For my $$, this content needs to be removed from the ā€œcategoryā€ page and placed into a content page, much like we (I) did with the ā€œtoolsā€ pageā€¦so far, Iā€™m not able to find the ā€œcontentā€ page, but Iā€™m betting thereā€™s one out there.

The good news is that people CAN cut pine in the woodshop. They just cant joint or plane Southern Yellow Pine (SYP).

3 Likes

Meeting minutes have been updated on the wiki

1 Like

Hm. Interesting.
It appears this has happened to all committee pagesā€¦wtf!?!