2015 Honda Fit LX random no-start issues - Resolved

I wouldn’t have guessed the starter. Sounds like a design flaw. Thanks for the update.

Just wanted to get in on this and say, I checked here, forward to me by a redit user. He said I should look into this, as I was having similar problems with my 2015 Fit. Took it into the dealership today. Turns out, the starter WAS the problem. Also at ~46k mi.

Issues I was having were; intermittent failure to start (no attempt to turn over). After multiple tries, car would eventually start up. Issue became increasingly more and more common. On one occasion, the car attempted to start but crapped out as it tried to turn. Most likely due to the 15 previous attempts, killing the battery.

Happy that my warranty covered the replacement. But if others find yourself here, having googled similar issues with your fit, be aware that the starter is a very likely culprit. :+1:

5 Likes

That is VERY interesting.
Thank you for taking the time to post back and let us know!

Good thing this is visible by the general public again…

2 Likes

This is the exact same issue with my 2015 Fit LX Auto/key start. Bought last year second hand from dealer. 106k KM and random starting problem beguine few weeks ago [Oct2018]. Did replace battery which was load tested just on the low border of capacity. Put/upgrade with bigger 53 AH https://www.batteriesexpert.com/fr/batteries/automotive-batteries/1010110030-51r-50-batterie-gr-51r-640ca-510cca battery NOT solve the problem. Replace battery at key NOT solve the problem. Scheduled this afternoon for starter replace. As I reed above it solved problem hope it will for me too. Is costly and winter is coming. Will post in about a week after “testing” new starter.

As I said to post how new starter will perform after one week I can say is running smooth. Every starting car I shut the radio before to hear any noise. Nothing suspicious all looking good. It was pricey and just hope with this exchange I’m good till life. …hehe

2 Likes

Hey everyone, first of all thanks to everyone because you help direct my efforts when I started to have this same issue. You don’t find a lot of info regarding newish cars.

I once tried around 30 times before I could get the car to start, the clicking in each time was just the Bendix coming out but no cranking from the starter.
Anyway, what I want to say is: DON’T SPEND MONEY CHANGING THE STARTER!!! I would suggest you first take it to a real mechanic that can fix a car and not just change parts. It only needs a good cleaning.
I took down my starter 4 days ago and disassembled the whole thing, cleaned every single piece and put it together and since then I’ve had no issues whatsoever (remember I once tried around 30+ times).
If I’m wrong and issue persists be sure I’ll come back to post it.

P.S.: Totally a poor quality starter to be having those issues so soon, but there’s a cheap fix.

1 Like

Guys im having the same issue. Can’t turn on the Car by pressing the start botton. Once i press once its just all the indicators turns on. Then when i press second time it will turn off. So after couple of attempts car will start with a struggle. Thought its the 12V battery and changed it to a new one and still the problem continues. Then i found this thread which everyone talked about it. But does anyone come up with the Parking indicator on the dashboard blinking? And after couple of more attempts car is turning on and ready to go? Plz help me out to find the root cause for this. TIA

For anyone having problems with the Start/Stop keyless starter button, I was able to clean mine (the contacts get residue/corrosion) and then it started working like normal again (took about 1.5 hrs). Thanks to this awesome video with clear instructions on how to remove the paneling and clean the switch/starter button:

Mine is a 2015 Honda Fit Ex (Manual Transmission)

4 Likes