2015 Honda Fit LX random no-start issues - Resolved

I’d look into having the immobilizer reprogrammed. No crank usually means the immobilizer isn’t letting the ecu start the engine. I’ve forgotten if this is the case but I vaguely recall that even hot wiring the starter switch will not crank the starter when the immobilizer isn’t reading the key.
LX or EX?

P.S. When the ecu doesn’t read the transmission to be in neutral or park, it won’t allow the engine to crank either.
If you can get hold of a factory service manual, it would be helpful.

Edit: “neutral or park”

“hot wiring” or bypassing the ignition key will not start the car (this only works in Hollywood)
The immobiliser controls signal to the fuel pump, engine ecu, and more.
Firestone will be useless as well (as usual) in dealing with fobs and programming

1 Like

Neutral or Park. If you press the brake pedal and move the gear selector to neutral and then turn the key to start, does it start every time? If so, perhaps it doesn’t think the selector is in park.

@TLAR yeah, I’m going to go recover my vehicle as soon as this meeting ends. Where would I get the immobilizer reprogrammed?

@ferman @Raymond

Shifting to neutral has no effect on starting. The factory service manual is unavailable for this generation of fit.

lol. yes it does work only for Hollywood.
What you mentioned was exactly the issue our JDM front cut suppliers had when they sold us all the parts but sold the steering columns(with the keys) to someone else. Took them a few times before they realized that the keys/steering column need to to stay with the engine/ecu.
lol

Thanks. Yes, Neutral or park. Will edit. The position switch for the gear selector when it fails will also cause the symptoms of no crank etc.
Have also encountered but on MT vehicles bad brake pedal switches that show similar issues.

THis is one of those rare moments that I suggest going to the Honda dealer. They unlike others are backed by the manufacturer and have the correct tools. You just have to hope for a tech that knows how to use those tools.

3 Likes

Sucks.
The printed manuals become rarer every day. :frowning:

I recall seeing on FB dfw & surrounding area car sale groups some one offered remote & fob programming from (I think) $40 up.
If can afford to wait for feedback from TLAR’s friend, that would be good way to go to as well as give you a list of places that you may want to take the car to.

Found it.
www.fob-u-less.com

972-348-0069
Ad says they are in Irving.

• Don’t know them, haven’t used their service.
1 Like

Sad, but what you say is true.

Came across this. Maybe useful for you?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

1 Like

Ok, so Firestone was unable to duplicate the issue. They did NOT run the further diagnostic which I was about to opt out of because they didn’t think it would actually turn up anything. They also didn’t charge me for the starting system checkup, so there ARE some good people at the Firestone on the SE corner of Josey and Beltline.

I started the car, drove to albertsons, bought a battery for the key fob, replaced it, car started fine both times. So maybe they found a loose connection and didn’t realize it.

Replaced the fob battery just to continue to isolate variables. I will be interested to hear what TLAR’s contact says, and if I get the issue again, I will get the immobilizer reprogrammed. Will update in a few days if no recurrence, or sooner if recurrance.

2 Likes

Issue recurring, but seems to be less frequent/less start attempts to start… will take it to the dealership for immobilizer reporgram asap.

Faulty starter replaced by Honda. Issue resolved. Thanks for all your help!

3 Likes

Although this may be extremely too late, hopefully, it may help someone in the future. Sounds like the ECU needs resetting/flashing in order that the transponder key(s) can be programmed. We typically provide this service at no additional cost when adding or programming transponder keys/fobs to vehicles (usually Lexus, Toyota & Honda makes). Otherwise remote & fob programming as stated starts at $39. Thanks for mentioning us Ferman, Blessings!
-Kevin Franklin, Fob-U-Less//CEO

3 Likes

It wound up being the starter after all. Intermittent failure.

2 Likes

I had the exact same situation, symptoms and solution.
Intermittent problems starting the car. Turning the key wouldn’t turn over the engin. It wasn’t the immobilizer, it is different from the immobilizer not allowing the car to start, that process makes more noise. It wasn’t an electrical problem. After a bunch of tries the car would start no problem. Mechanic put in a new starter at a price of $1000.

I too have a 2015 Honda Fit LX. 26k miles, just recently been having exact same starter issues… Particularly when I leave the a/c on when turning car off, it simply won’t start but all normal lights on dash turn on and everything will work except car doesn’t even attempt to turn engine on.
Only when I turn off all a/c, fans, headlights, interior lights, etc will the Fit then turnover. Runs completely normally then. I live in Denver though and it’s been a hot summer so far so that a/c has stayed on.

First thought was starter. I’ll be taking it in this week. I’ll be bringing up these seemingly recurring issues you all are having as well. Honda should look at a recall because sub-45k miles starter issues with absolutely normal starter usage with an otherwise pristine car is not just an outlier.

1 Like

Sounds like a battery on the edge of death. Or some connection problem like corroded terminals.

2 Likes

Went to Honda dealer, it wouldn’t start for the associate and then they said it failed some tests for the techs. They wanted to examine it more after realizing it was a pretty rare occurrence supposedly (associate said they had never seen a starter fail so early for a car with only 26k miles) so gave me a free loner and asked if they could examine it more and sent me on my way.
Come to find out they had to replace the starter altogether, luckily all covered under warranty. Associate later said it had some gears inside it which were failing to start up.

I suspect this is going to be a bigger issue for Honda in the coming months then they realize.

1 Like