2012 Mini Cooper alternator replacement

I have a friend in town from Austin for his West Point 1996 reunion. He’s doing a lot of good for veterans and has mostly been the person responsible for this Texas Legislation, now going into effect at the Dell Medical School in Austin. Bill Text: TX HB1802 | 2021-2022 | 87th Legislature | Introduced | LegiScan

HIs vehicle above has blown the alternator and he’s in a bit of a bind for getting back to Austin. I brought him a new battery as his vehicle was dead on 183 today. It cranks and runs with the new battery but the alternator is apparently internally shredded, making a nasty noise and not charging.

How far can one get with a fully charged battery in that circumstance without running any accessories? I guessing not far enough.

If anyone on the forum wants to consider replacing it tomorrow, he’ll pay the going rate and help out in however he can. He is expert on PTSD therapy. I’m assuming we can get the part somewhere in the morning from auto supply but I don’t know that.

Here is a replacement video. Most of the work is getting the front bumper off, so it seems. How to Replace Alternator Mini Cooper 2007-2013 R56 - YouTube

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the rules of automotive actually prohibit working on someone’s car for money.

No automotive work in exchange for money or other services.

While working with and helping others is encouraged, we do not allow members to work on vehicles in exchange for money or other services.

Vehicle owner is responsible for any and all repairs done to their vehicle.

If your friend is willing to pay the going rate, I’d suggest trying to find a mechanic. I noticed in the comment section of that video it took a father/son team 4.5 hours even with following the instructions.

OK, Not really expecting it to be done at DMS. If anyone would like to help elsewhere then LMK. Thank you. He’s OK leaving it at a shop instead and borrowing a vehicle to return then coming back to Dallas and realizes that is what he will probably end up doing. Yikes, 4.5 hrs!

Only somewhat aside, I just had same basic issue and had to replace mine:

Some lessons learned you may want to pass on:

–1: I initially went with a remanufactured part from my car’s OEM supplier (Denso); it was defective out of the box. My trusted mechanic said he would have recommended against remaned part for this particular fix, i.e. alternator, based on his experience if I had asked.

–2: there are other parts that should generally be replaced, or at least strongly considered, at the same time as any alternator replacement, incl: serpentine/accessories belt; idler pulleys (typically two…upper and lower); and the belt tensioner. The justification I was given was that these parts work closely together and tend to wear out at same rate, and it is not a great idea to have one of them new and the others half worn…whatever…it’s understandable if he chooses not to for time and/or cost reasons.

–3: Remind him to hold onto the old alternator part for a core refund if the mechanic he uses does not supply the part and give him a discount for this.

Best of luck…

Great tips!! TY!

@mblatz is on point:

• Alternators and starters should NOT be purchased rebuilt
  • Starters and alternators are repairable
  • Use a Starter & Alternator Repair Shop
  • The quality control and failure rate of parts store rebuilds are terrible

Take your existing alternator to a Starter & Alternator rebuild shop. They will rebuild and properly test every aspect of your starter/alternator and even customize your alternator.

I like this shop in Denton:

With the sensitive electronics in cars, and the fact that ALTernators produce AC current and use a rectifier to provide DC to your battery and electronics… a crappy rebuild from the parts store is not worth the gamble. I have seen 2 exchanges in a row because of bad alternators out of the box.

1 Like

It’s been a good fifteen years at least since I used DC Starter, but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them or their (weirdly on-again off-again) partners AxlePro for driveline rebuilds if they’re still doing the same quality work they did then. Good to hear someone thinks DCS is. Mike is good people…

2 Likes

Tony at I Autowork in Grandprairie does great work, I’ve had my Mini Cooper serviced there several times. https://www.iautowork.net/

That place is clutch - they had everything on hand to do a starter for a 1980s kohler marine generator. One of the pieces I needed, I could only find as New Old Stock for $200 something. It was far less than that for them to make the starter complete and functional again.

1 Like