200 Watt Wireless Power System Help

OK, so I’m looking into medium and far distance wireless power transmit and recieve systems in the 50 - 200 Watt range. I’m trying to figure out what to get from Mouser or Digikey but can’t quite make sense of what I need to buy to get my system working. Can anyone help?

I like this 200 Watt one
https://www.mouser.com/new/passive-components/inductors-chokes-coils/wireless-charging-coils/wurth-760308103102-qi-coil/n-cbt1uZ20gwtb

Here’s the list from Digikey & Mouser.
I don’t know how to calculate what my watts, voltage, amps will be on the receiving side and what I have to supply it with on the transmit side.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/inductors-coils-chokes/wireless-charging-coils/75?FV=fffc02dc&quantity=0&ColumnSort=-1000011&page=1&k=charging+coil&pageSize=25

https://www.mouser.com/new/passive-components/inductors-chokes-coils/wireless-charging-coils/n-cbt1u

Or anyone have any knowledge of the Energeous systems?

What kind of distance are you looking to cover? I always see ranges measured in centimeters, typically 10cm max.

Transmitting that amount of power at anything more than a few inches will require lasers, microwave beams, or similar. Regardless, it would be incredibly dangerous, think about what a 60w laser cutter can do, now imagine that not being in an enclosed case.

In any event, it’s going to be very expensive.

2 Likes

And inefficient.

Some back-of-the-napkin calculations for a Qi charger I did a while back:

… and that’s with relatively tight coupling between transmitter and receiver; millimeters distant.

1 Like

Yeah so looking for the 6" to 1’ distance range.
Near field technologies are out because of distance and they are limited to 10 Watts by FCC.
Mid & long range will work with distance and power.
Lasers are out for obvious reasons.
But the medium range RF stuff made for 200 watts 2-3 feet should work & is licensed by the FCC.
The transmitter receiver I don’t see being more than $30
I just need help on what parts to actually buy.

Please post some more info.

Something must have changed dramatically tech wise if you can push 200W over a 6" to 1’ gap with a $30 transmitter. 200W is a non-trivial amount of power.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to be in the room when a device is being powered by 200W of RF :smile:

You’ve likely been in a room with something emitting 1500W RF. Routinely.

Details are important.

Hence the request for more info.

Hopefully that 1500W RF source was shielded though :slight_smile:

That was the point.

We know nothing about the proposed system other than the power level.

Todd is there some level of data that you need that wasn’t in Mouser?
All the specs and data sheet are there.
What do you want?
Did you even read the links?

I saw what you’d linked. I assumed you had something much much more in mind.

Nope, I’m a basic bitch

I literally just don’t understand what the specs mean as far as being able to look at it and tell ohhh this is the voltage and amps I hook up to the transmission pad and be able to calculate ohhh this is what the receiver will output.

In case anyone’s wondering I would like 5v in & 5v@12A out. Through stainless and aluminum @ 6". I may have to use 12v in future so I’m interested in that as well.

You should research and learn how microwave shielding stops them from boiling water outside the door. That’s pretty similar to what you’re trying to do. It won’t work.

Fact is, that coil is a very small part of the problem, and the reason you don’t understand those specs is because you’re looking for the wrong answers. You don’t simply get to shove 5v in one side and get 5v out the other (or any voltages fwiw) and sadly the reality of it is so much more complicated that it’s likely beyond the realm of free internet advice.

You should talk to the millennium technology folks about this

Whom are these millenials that you speak of and how may I find one

Have a look at this, WiTricity can charge electric cars at 93% efficiency. EV charging takes a shitton of power transfer.

Here’s Resonant Inductive Coupling, on Wiki:

1 Like

Here is the key diagram for WiTricity’s system. Apparently, you don’t want a flat coil, like that one from Mouser. It won’t project an elongated magnetic field. WiTricity uses 2 coils at the sender, and 2 coils at the receiver. Their shape appears more cylindrical, to form an elongated field which they are oscillating at 10MHz, then rectifying to DC at the receiver.

Wireless_power

Yes it’s for the cylindrical dance poles.

Thats why I also have to worry about microwaving body parts and implants.

I know water molecules are excited by microwaves and need to research silicon and saline as well. I’ve got like 50 implants at home of every make/model/size to see if they melt or pop for research.

Thank you very much for the link. I see alot of great potential in there and will tear it apart and all the company links in it as well.

If you go to their website, these WiTricity peeps have landed some hot contracts with the biggest auto players. That’s because they can couple 11,000 Watts of power from 15 feet away, at a high efficiency using a phenom they call “tunneling”.

You won’t be using microwave frequencies (30-300 GHz), so don’t worry about exploding implants (but testing is always recommended). At 10 MHz, the components are cheap enough, and some can be made in the E-Lab. Mainly, you will be better off winding the coils your bad self, so you can get the shapes and resonances to test and tune. The send circuits are easy and cheap, as well as the receiver electronics. It looks like the key to this Tech is; tuning, tuning, and more tuning. The tighter you can tune these resonant frequency RC circuits (not radio controlled, but Reactive Capacitance) to each other, the higher the coupling and greater the distance range.

In summary, compared to the results of WiTricity, I think that sending 200W would be child’s play. The only thing that puzzles me is this: why don’t you just use a power wire? What is the pressing need to create an exotic power source?

1 Like