2 Classes - Sewn Leather Zipper Pouch [Open for Registration]

Happy Wednesday folks! @Lordrook is teaching two classes

1. Wed May 30 6:30pm — 8:30pm. : https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6145
  2. Thu Jun 7 7pm — 9:30pm : https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6149

During this project class you’ll be making a zippered pouch. I know what you’re thinking, “Jorge, I hate hand stitching. My fingers can’t take the abuse!” Well worry not because in this class Steve is going to teach you how to make a zippered pouch using the sewing machines in Creative Arts! Why does every sentence end in an exclamation? Hey, that last one didn’t!

Seriously though. Sign up. There are only 5 spots and it’s a $5 class. It will fill up quick, and you walk away with a leather pouch. This is a win win all around. Why are you still reading this! Go sign up now!

In this class we will make a 6x8 inch zipper pouch using upholstery leather on the sewing machines in the Creative arts room.

Cost
$5.00 (this class is open to members only as it requires being signed off to use the sewing machines)

Techniques & Tools

• Measuring and marking your work piece to a template
  • Cutting Leather with shears
  • Using adhesive tape to affix the zipper to the leather
  • Prepping the sewing machine
    •winding a bobbin reel, installing a special leather sewing needle, and threading the machine
  • Sewing upholstery leather on a machine
    • works similar to denim

Materials

• 3oz finished upholstery leather
  • Thread
  • Leather sewing needle
  • Scissors
  • Masking tape

Prerequisites
• Sewing 101 or be able to demonstrate a safe working knowledge of a sewing machine

Special Considerations and Warnings
If you have not been signed off on the sewing machines, or have prior sewing machine operation experience but still want to take this class, please reach out to the head of the sewing SiG for a 101 class or one on one overview.

3 Likes

You beat me to this post by an hour!

Also, there’s another one scheduled for June 7, 7-9, and then a machine sewn project bag (drawstring) class on June 21, 6:30-8:30. Go sign up!

2 Likes

Interrobang to the rescue‽

3 Likes

hahaha I have the same issue with my posts.