1st Group project build for Machine Shop

We’ll soon be filling out our space with new tools: Plastics band saw, non-ferrous & plastics table saw, a small mill and a small lathe.

As a first group project, I’d like to build a “teaching table”. It will basically be a duplicate of the T-slotted bed on the Bridgeport with a plate that can be placed on top to simulate the sacrificial plate on HAAS. It will be on wheels so it can moved in and out for use. I’ve picked this as people want more intermediate classes that could be demonstrated using this teaching aid. Could also be used when developing your own tools and fixtures without tying up a machine.

The goal is so instructors can demonstrate some of the use of our other tools that require fixturing to the machine, clamping techniques, etc. This will allow larger groups to see what is done as there will be 360 degree visibility and classes can be taught in Machine Shop area.

Will require;

• Some CAD/CAM work, for designing it for machining on HAAS.
  • Steel plate to machined with slots like on Bridgeport and other tools
  • Aluminum plate, with threaded holes like on HAAS
  • Square steel tubing for table
  • Casters

What other group projects builds would you Machine Shop type folks like to see built? I figure size limitation is about 4’ x 6’ envelope. Height limited by safety/tipping issues.

Would like to get projects we can plan out, require a range of machining operations they various people could add-on. Can be anything. If it would something at the end that could be sold that would be great. Could end being used for teaching Hand Held Plasma torch in Metal Shop. Could also be made of machined plastic.

Hopefully, it would involve training how to use some of tools such as the rotary table for Bridgeport, special lathe techniques, etc.

Any ideas, please post.

5 Likes

I like this idea.

A potential project idea is a radius turning attachment for the lathe(s).

It would need some steel plate, steel bar (rather large), some machining on the mill to get the dove tails. The cap stone could be turning the ball handle for the tool on the tool itself.

Or maybe getting a radius attachment and building a project that requires it? What would be some projects to build using this after we built the tool?

A ball end stick shift what else? Wait. Does anything even use a stick shift anymore?

-metal pens with a curved body certainly comes to mind.

• A complete chess set with modifications for ‘round’ pieces. (see attached wobble chess set)
  • metal beads
  • your own ball peen hammer
    -metal spinning tops
    -the DMS death star

Just to name a few.

With your help, everything could…
https://www.redbubble.com/people/durryadvit/works/14505753-save-the-stick-shift?grid_pos=20&p=sticker

That chess set is awesome.

I agree. did you see how each of the chess board squares is concave to contain the wobblers?
this would probably even get some kids interested in chess. cheers!

That was actually the part that caught my eye the most. At first glance I didn’t notice the table and wobbling pieces.

I agree the chess set looks awesome. I also agree that having lathe tooling that allows concave & convex tooling should be the first tooling we buy to increase lathe capabilities.

Just need some input on which tools. The cost when I looked them up varied from $200< to each over $1,300. Need to find good tools at a reasonable cost.