1990 Chevrolet Suburban Engine Swap

I have a friend in need of an engine swap for his Suburban. I would like to use the space to do so with your ok @Brandon_Green? It would be primarily a learning experience for him and more practice for me, I am also using this as an attempt to get him to join and maybe his family. I will be able to roll the truck in and out when not working on it and will likely not do the full swap till next week, with the truck being parked in tact in the rear of the building. I plan to do a single or two day swap on my days off. I am more than willing to walk anyone who wants to learn through it and will be photographing it for a tutorial. Also I would need to have the engine delivered directly to the space and would be present for its delivery, big question can I store it somewhere for a few days in the auto area or should I store it in the truck? Thank you for your help and guidance.

He would need to join DMS before the work starts (its fine to join for just a month and then cancel) and must be present while the car is being worked on as described in the auto rules. Otherwise that sounds good, I look forward to the photos / tutorial

You can put the engine on a pallet with cardboard or something between engine and pallet and email [email protected] to request authorization to put the pallet in the oversize project storage area for a limited amount of time.

1 Like

Member vehicles cannot be stored in the parking lot. It violates our lease. The last two that I know of got towed.

1 Like

Our current auto rules(which we wrote based on understanding of lease) say no obviously disabled vehicles can be left in the parking lot(ie nothing on cinder blocks or missing wheels or not moveable). We will likely be revisiting our interpretation of the auto rules in the near future to be sure we aren’t doing anything that threatens the lease or our standing with the landlord.

1 Like

I’m going to try and get the 200SX out of the bay this week. It’s about ready to roll, though it’s nowhere near close to driving. I’d left it in the parking lot, in rolling condition, for a couple days prior to starting the swap, without issue. As well, I believe there is a Buick and a couple Dodge pickup trucks belonging to members that have been parked for some time. I don’t know what the lease terms are, but it doesn’t appear to me that the landlord cares all too much about having a few vehicles parked outside, as long as they’re not obvious eyesores.

However, if the lease terms or the property owner clearly don’t want stored cars, that takes precedence. I’d say the auto committee should probably touch base with the landlord and clear up any confusion in the interpretation of the lease agreement.

2 Likes

The lease says that the landlord can determine that a car is abandoned and have it towed at owners expense if it is parked overnight without prior written permission from the landlord. I don’t know of the landlord having done that since we moved in, but you are using the parking lot at your own risk.

1 Like

Understood and he will join before it comes in for work if he decides too. Its will be completely in tact if its parked outside. Thank you for the info on storage, it will be on a pallet when it comes so I will look at that option and worst case we will put it in the rear of the truck.

The 2 trucks are, essentially, DMS trucks. In addition to the restrictions in the lease, the problem is that we don’t have that many parking spots out back and don’t need them occupied by projects. The automotive committee has no authority over the parking lot.

2 Likes

If your talking about the van and Lexus that was for another reason.

I am making sure it is not parked anywhere we are in short supply of space and will be up at least every other day working on it and will move it upon request if asked. It will be complete By Thursday the 12th at latest but sooner if possible, the actual tear down and swap will be done in a two day or less time frame right now its just prep and is still complete and in running condition. I will move it into the auto bay inside once the engine arrives to do the swap. If anyone has an issue please let me know, I can also be reached at 469-579-7811 anytime day or night. Thank you all.

What about that Buick that never moves? Anyone know the story about that car?

1 Like

Yeah, it is mine. I’m working on getting it out of there.

1 Like

Also I talked my friend into being a member and I believe he will stick around.

Hey everyone, just an update. The swap is in progress and the old engine is 2 bolts from being out. We stopped this afternoon to rest and will return no later than 12pm Saturday night, Sunday morning. The truck is still in the auto area but should be out by Sunday. I will post photos soon. If their is an issue or someone needs to reach me my number is 4695797811.

1 Like

Hey, is the truck in a place where there’s enough room to fit another car alongside in the square? I need to do some suspension work on this Isuzu and I left some of my tools in the 200SX, so I figure if I have to drive up there, and there’s enough room to work on it there, I might just do that, rather than slog back to Arlington to do it in my driveway.

2 Likes

There should be enough space for 2 vehicles. On thursday we had a truck pulled in next to suburban doing work on it. (not sure if its still in same spot exactly)

1 Like

Yes plenty of room, sorry was asleep.

My suburban fit next to the engine-swap suburban just fine so pretty much anything should fit.

1 Like

Ok due to a couple of high grade bolts needing to be replaced we will have to wrap up the swap Sunday. We will return mid afternoon to evening Sunday to finish hopefully. Thank you all for your patience.

Ok the engine is in but we’re spent for the day and headed home. We will return to finish it up and roll it out if not running yet by mid day wed.