1986 VW Westfalia Project

Ed,

This happens due to those inexperienced folks “thinking” if they had a leaking oil sensor and they tighten the replacement “really good” then it will reduce the chance of leaking. It is a tapered thread. They do not leak at the threaded port - they leak where the moulded plastic/phenolic meets the metal crimp.

A similar thing happens with the drain and fill plugs on your Westy’s transaxle ( and most European manual transmissions & diffs). The plugs are have tapered thread and do not need the force of King Kong to tighten them but…

2 Likes

So I’m learning. Had to retread and close this thread. Mechanic did the best he could to get me back on the road. Once in Dallas I’ll have to really think hard about a long term solution.

Love the Thing, a couple of times was tempted to get one but just didn’t have the extra space.

After a long couple of days. A few mishaps on the road (battery died, alternator maybe; overheated once, discovered water leaking from expansion tank; fuel leak, thinking at the return line, above the tank).

But we made it to Dallas!!!

7 Likes

There should be a welcome to DMS activity with balloons for this. :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to the lovely humidity !

The charging issue is more than likely just the easily replaceable voltage regulator on the back of the alternator - about $15 ( and you install it- two Phillips screws usually)

Expansion tank - may have a leak there, or the nipple on the cap. Hopefully your coolant loss is from one of the many hoses or hose to pipe connections or other basic replacement items.

1 Like

Voltage regulator!! Going to look at this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, the water leak may end up being the pump… ;( ! None of the hoses are even wet and it’s still leaking about 1-2 cups per minute. When car cools it stops but as soon as I run the engine it starts leaking again. Looks like will be doing some work at my house.

Hope this is a one man job and neighbors don’t mind. Ohh… also van didn’t fit it my garage (too high). Completely unexpected problem for the restoration project.

Ed.

Look closely at the thermostat housing (large black thing with a few hoses connecting to it)on top of the pump - is is made of plastic and like most things plastic in today’s engine compartments - has a relatively SHORT life. This is most likely the source of your coolant leak.

1 Like

Here are a couple of stock photos of what the thermostat housing and cover looks like.

Housing is about $42
housing cover $15
Pump if needed $43 (factory - not a cheap white box one)

1 Like

Thanks for the details.
Thinking best insurance will be to replace all parts and hoses at the same time.

Take advantage to look at voltage regulator and alternator while I’m the engine bay.

what part of dfw do you and your Westphalia call home?

A few blocks from Webb Chappel and Forest. Just off 635

1 Like

This is just bad luck. Van down and now Land Rover down. Definitely letting North TX Brittish deal with Disco.

a few minutes south of the Makerspace !

1 Like

I’m just north of you at Josey and Birchlawn! Let me know if you need a ride or anything.

Followed your advise this weekend.

• Replaced Water Pump. Filled with distilled water and pressure looks good, no leaks… going to flush and fill with phosphate free coolant 50/50… first time bleeding radiator so wish me some luck (going to use a hand air pump per Samba.
  • Took Bosch battery to Pep Boys, they checked and said it’s good. So Replaced Voltage Regulator and crossing my fingers (keeping a booster with me at all times)

Next… Tint is pealing, rust around window seals, and rubber seals are in bad shape… all new things for me. (any suggestions??

1 Like

Thanks Matt. We got her back on the road… after a day of sun baking. She is again road worthy (hopefully inspection worthy since reg in CA is out and permit to move to TX is expired).

1 Like

Inspection is easy & cheap. Safety only for that old. Make sure your wipers are good, tires, horn works & e-brakes

2 Likes

This thread makes me remember the time my Mom drove her '88 Westy about 4 miles to work with the e-brake partially engaged and froze up both rear brake drums (or maybe overheated/siezed the wheel bearings?). IIRC, towing a Westy out of a parking garage with low clearance was a lot of fun for the VW dealer.

(edit - it was an '86 not '84. The '84 was the Quantum, which was a whole other story of “fun”)

2 Likes