1969 Mustang Power Steering issues

Need second opinion. I had power steering pump that was leaking but working. Since it was neary 30 years old, I decided to replace with a rebuilt one from NAPA. I also replace the return hose as it was pretty old and cracking. At idle I was not getting any power assist and only seems to work at higher rpms which is worthless. I replace the pump again with another rebuilt one and still have the same problem. I also replaced the high pressure line as well, flushed the power steering fluid twice and added transmission fluid type F. The second one has the same issue and does not seem to give me any power assist till I’m at 2500rpms. Any ideas? Replace with a new one from a different store maybe my only option though you will hear me screaming if that doesn’t work.

Could it be a leaky power cylinder, letting too much of the fluid go past? Just guessing.

I need to get it back on the lift, but running it in my driveway and cranking back and forth on the steering wheel at idle and 2500rpm did not produce any drips. I do think there might be a slow leak though.

Have you done a bleed with it off & wheels off the ground?

not sure how to do a bleed with a 69 steering. I have followed the suggested of turning it from lock to lock and letting it set on both sides. I also didn’t have this issue with the first pump that was always leaking and just added fluid and drove off.

Not necessarily fluid leaking out of the system, but leaking past seals inside the cylinder.

Ugh. after 3 weeks of these problems. I had worked on it today and still no difference. I then went in for a while and went in to cool off. Decided to run an errand and it started working 75% of the time like I think it should. Will try and get on a lift today if its open by the time I get there. thanks for the advice everyone.

1 Like