>$150 Supply requests for CA due by November 8th

I don’t think that is the issue. It’s the repetitive use & mis-use along with the adding of cost. If we use a small vessel that can easily be refilled by either compressed air or CO2, it would be vastly cheaper in the long run.

How about like what the laser committee does with their CO2 if not a regular compressed air?

1 Like

We are just witnessing the way makers love to problem solve while buying all sorts of things to solve problems. I’ll get some air for the cabinet.

I do the same thing. I need to organize my garage…let’s spend $50 to make my tubs match, color coded bits and pieces consult Pinterest. Sketch a plan. Leave the plan. Forget garage entirely. Decided to build a cob oven.

6 Likes

Couldn’t we just plug in one of the airbrush compressors to blow lint out of the sewing machines/sergers?

Disposable cans of air add up in both cost and in the garbage stream

I agree, we have the 3 compressors. I’m pretty sure we could find a blower attachment to use with them. The tankless one we have is super easy to move and use

It’s not the cost - it’s the fact that (a) CA consumables tend to wander off into elsewhere in the Space because everyone thinks of CA as Walmart/Office Depot and (b) since it’s a consumable, it won’t be there when you want it to be there. That’s why, IMO, being able to use one of the compressors that’s always there in the room would be a reasonable alternative.

Just my one cent worth.

5 Likes

I don’t know much about air hose fittings so please bear with me as I show my ignorance.

I didn’t find a suitable (1/8" inlet) blow gun, but a “regular” blow gun with a 1/4" male NPT thread and a $6 Grex Adapter (1/8" male end, 1/4" female end) from Coast Airbrush might do the job.

1 Like

Air brush compressors might be able to do it, I say might because they really are low volume. A refillable can is easy to store in the cabinet with the sewing machines and sergers. Refilling is about a 90 second task out in the shop: get connector from Tool Cabinet, connect to airline, refill, return connector.

3 Likes

Don’t tell me :laughing: all the hand tools wander out of electronics but we gain tons of safety glasses from woodshop.

No electronics receives scissors and glue guns from CA…

1 Like

Shhhhhh, don’t tell them.

2 Likes

5 dual temp (large) glue guns
White all-purpose sewing thread
Twine and super fancy twine holder (super fancy)
Small scissors
Qtips

On the way to CA

2 Likes

Received and put away in various places. I didn’t see any scissors though. @Kriskat30 - did you see scissors in those packages? You were putting away most of that stuff.

1 Like

They should be tiny and look like white rectangles. I couldn’t find the same ones from last time.

@uglyknees, @photomancer … Do we think there would be interest in any quilt-related skills or activities? If so, I have a proposal, but first I have to ask a question.

Do we have any 1/4" presser foot(s) for the Janome? @Kriskat30, maybe you know the answer to this?

Background: I was curious whether there was interest in any quilt-related skills. I was toying with the idea of teaching a very basic “make a quilt block” class that would teach some of the fundamentals through the process of making a specific quilt block. (This would not be a learn-to-use-the-sewing-machine class!) A 1/4" foot, while not absolutely essential, is one of the most important tools. Although people could bring their own sewing machines for a class, if they don’t already have a 1/4" foot it would handicap them.

After you read the rest of my proposal, decide whether you want me to post my idea to see if there is interest in quilt-related skills.

If we think there is interest in quilt-related skills, then I would recommend we buy the following items: (details, photos, links, etc. below). All of them would be usable for other activities, not just quilt blocks.

(1) 1/4" presser foot. Qty 5 (one for each machine). $14 each, subtotal $70.
(2a) 45mm rotary cutter. Qty 2. $14 each, subtotal $28.
(2b) 45mm rotary cutter blades. Qty 1, pkg of 10. $12 each.
(3) Slotted quilting ruler. Qty 2. $32 each. Subtotal $64.
GRAND TOTAL: $174. Plus tax.

(4) As an option, please consider another iron. Maybe we can just post on Talk and ask if anyone has an old (still working) iron that they want to donate.

My recommendations are based on the assumption that we don’t have any of these specific items.

(1) 1/4" foot (the foot has a guide that keeps you stitching along 1/4" from the edge of the fabric). They are $13.95 each. I am passionate about having the clear foot - it is easier to see what you’re doing.

https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Clear-View-Quilting-Guide/dp/B00DQBUR9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478110334&sr=8-1&keywords=janome+clear+presser+foot

(2a) 45mm Rotary cutter. These would need to be hidden with the sewing supplies!

https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-9551-Straight-Handle-Rotary/dp/B0006SJB24/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1478110822&sr=8-6&keywords=olfa%2Brotary%2Bcutter&th=1

About $14 on Amazon, but also something we could buy at JoAnn using the regular coupons.

(2b) Need a package of spare blades. Can also be purchased at JoAnn with the coupon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Cutter-Blades-45mm-10-Pack/dp/B01CPPGBJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478111671&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=45mm+olfa+rotary+cutter+blades&psc=1

(3) General purpose quilting ruler with slits in it. I recommend qty two if we envision doing classes. I have (a different brand version of) this one. About $32. The slits help you cut things straight without the ruler slipping off of your fabric.

https://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Shape-Cut-Ruler/dp/B000YZ7SJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478111019&sr=8-1&keywords=slotted+quilting+ruler

I laser cut/engrave a lot of my own quilting templates and rulers and we could do the same thing for other types of rulers, but this one has to be purchased. The laser isn’t suitable for the slits in the ruler.

(4) If we get another iron I suggest that we label the old iron as “CRAFT IRON” and the new iron as “FABRIC IRON - NO GLUE”.

I am not recommending that we get a longarm machine if we make a foray into quilting skills. There are several alternate approaches to quilting your piece if you don’t have access to a longarm machine. People could use a “quilt-as-you-go” technique, straight stitch or free motion quilt using their “domestic” (i.e., regular home-type) sewing machine, hand quilt, or pay someone else to quilt it. I personally have used four of those five techniques (too lazy to hand quilt it), all successfully.

4 Likes

Awesome. Added to the adjenda. I think those are very reasonable things to get and we im sure need them.

1 Like

If/when you get approval for those items, let me know. I will make the pilgrimage to Joann to see if I can get at least the rotary cutter/blades using the mondo huge coupon (and then submit for reimbursement). Hey - every dollar saved means something else we can buy,

1 Like

Her Ladyship IS the approval authority. They are all good ideas, but I would also run it by Sewing SIG team leader. You are wonderful with all the links!

Agree. I tagged @Kriskat30 in that post. I know she doesn’t TALK much, so I will have to see if I can connect with her in person.

2 Likes

I think small scale quilting would be tons of fun!

1 Like