>$150 Supply requests for CA due by November 8th

If anyone would like to request some larger items to be purchased within CA please have requests in to Photomancer or I by November 8th. We are going to be more organized and thoughtful and include more input from the committee on purchases (we’ve always tired to incorporate the wishes and desires of the committee).

Remember : Order numbers, amazon links, and spreadsheets are downright sexy when it comes to ordering tons supplies on limited time.

Smaller general use requests just send my way. Or if we are running low on something please let me know as well.

@bitta @artnerdray @kyrithia @Rio @maxk68 @Adam_Oas @Jules @Kriskat30 @mreynolds @CaryF300

3 Likes

@Kriskat30 - this isn’t a large purchase, but I would like to respectfully request that you consider CA purchasing four cones of white and four cones of black serger thread. This would help the occasional user who is less likely to invest in a set for themselves.

If you think that’s appropriate, maybe we could set some type of contribution suggestion … $x for trivial project, $y for garment … or whatever.

1 Like

We need to restock vinyl. I will take a look at exactly what colors we need but we have s few almost empty rolls

Chris, I’d like to get with you and develop a simple Kan-ban system for some of the items we consume a lot of. I’m thinking we decide reorder point, laminate a small card and it simply states re-order item XYZ, contact Chair or CA Procurement Vice Chair it’ll have a CA Inventory number

We’ll have the rest of the data in a spreadsheet for the reorder. Cut, Paste, Order.

SIG folks - please come up with a list of common items reorder on a regular basis. We’ll discuss at next meeting. Also, same for Instructors of things like Vinyl, Large Format, Dye Sub, etc. We can generate a sort of internal CA Supply catalog.

Open to other ideas!

1 Like

This would be for purchases in the $150+ range. Small stuff I think we can green light easily- we need to so that things run easily. I just think monthly we should all consider spending or saving or planning together.

1 Like

But if it is something you would order online run through Nicole or I for purchase on DMS CC. You’ll not be out of pocket and we may be able to save sales tax.

Also, from DMS accounting prospective is faster and much easier.

Thanks

Cones of thread purchased and will be arriving soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I like the way you edited the Thread title as well.

Also needed are cans of compressed air for cleaning out the serger properly as well as other uses in the CA room. Other items that I have provided personally are clear epoxy glue (gorilla is a good brand) and q tips. Blue masking tape is low as well I believe.

Instead of paying for air, I suggest having a compressed air line run to CA. I know that Electronics has one, though I have never seen it used or know why it is in the room, so perhaps it could be rerouted to CA. If not, CA could have their own run made. Given the upcoming rearrangement of the room, this would be the time to plan for it.

I tried to supply epoxy for a little while but its a huge money sucker decided that it really was best for members to bring. We can talk about it - possibly look for little tiny packets.

I bought two cans of compressed air - they should be near the computer station - keep on in the sewing cabinet - if they have gone missing please let me know

Also, if the compressed air line is not wanted, perhaps one or two of these could be used instead

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Refillable-Multipurpose-Aerosol-Bottle/dp/B009IY6IHS

or this

5 Likes

I want to say that Creative Arts had a compressed air line when they were in what is now known as the Purple Classroom. The @Creative_Arts_Team may want to open a separate “REQUEST” thread to request that it either be moved, or a new compressed air line for the current room…

Here is a link to the “ISSUES and REQUESTS” category: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/issues-requests

Edit for better wording… :wink:

CA at this time doesn’t need a compressed air line. Items needing that much flow, such as pressure pots, should be taken out to the shops. Plus running airline hoses across room, stroing them, regulators, etc. way too much hassle.

We have three small compressors used primarily for air brushes. I like @wandrson idea of the refillable canister. That would work fine.

2 Likes

But can you turn them over and freeze things and act like a dragon?
Because without that do we have a rich life?

3 Likes

I don’t know, but can tell you soon. I ordered one of the second bottles for my personal use (like the idea of reusable air)…

1 Like

Sigh …Unfortunately, no. This cans do not have the multi-thousand PSI pressure rating need to liquefy air at room temp. Nor do we have the compressors to pump such things. I had not considered making dragon’s breath with them. Of course that empties them out in seconds.

CO2 is probably safer to freeze things with - talk to @Lampy about that, he’s our resident expert. But you should also budget for ceiling tiles.

1 Like

If a larger capacity is needed, you could pick one of these up at Walmart for $30:

Then add a pistol grip blowgun for about $4:

The goal with the serger/sewing machines is to basically blow lint like materials and small fibers out - “Dust Off” has a small flexible tube like WD40 has that allows it to get into very confined spaces. We don’t use much high volume air ever in Creative Arts or high pressure.

The 6 gallon pressure pot is used in the shop when doing resin castings/molds. Airbrush compressors are small and sit next to airbrush operator. That is the main and primary use for compressed air inside of CA.

Plus, the tank is something else to store that takes up a lot of space - also there is one available in Automotive to use when you’re out in the shop - in addition to air hoses.

If a can of air for $2 at Walmart is a problem I’ll just bring one in.