>$150 Creative Arts requests due by March 26th

Meeting is on the 28th to have time to get it on the talking points please submit. Small stuff please let me know as well.

2 Likes

I added a 17" magnetic bar sweeper a few days ago. $9.99 plus tax. My treat. (And thanks to @bknapp for details about the shorter version.)

Can we buy the laptop from infrastructure that is set up for the Shapeoko 2? It’s kind of bummer of an extra step in using the CNC machine to hunt #19 down. Plus… (getting personal here) I’m vertically challenged and it likes to hang out on the top shelf of the laptop cabinet in the common room. And you can ask them for a discount because it doesn’t have a battery. :slight_smile:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Need Laptop for Shapeoko 2

We definitely need a new Quality flat heat press. The one we have does not heat reliably and has other issues. I’ve been doing a lot of research (Thanks to Google, YouTube and especially about half a dozen Facebook groups with tons of members who do Dye Sublimation and Heat Transfer Vinyl, etc…). Considering the size of our printer and amount of room we have in Creative Arts, I believe a 16x20 would be the best size for us. I am leaning toward suggesting a swing away though. There is less chance of members burning their arms, and the swing away types work better with thicker media because it presses straight down on the media (vs at an angle with a clamshell). I have not narrowed down which brand I would prefer. It seems that most people with experience using multiple brands consider all of the major brands relatively similar overall; and, that it’s mostly a matter of some of the features that some have that others don’t (such as extended handles used to move the top platen out of the way, etc…). As far as the auto-open / “air open” types. That is supposed to help make it less important to be at the press the whole time; but, honestly, I think we need to continue to stress that members remain with the press while it’s in use. That being the case, I’m not sure if the added “benefit” would really be worth the extra money - unless we just happened to get a really awesome deal on one.

I would also love to see us get a 3D Vacuum Press! It would allow us to do full face plates and other no-flat media with much better results. From what I can tell, they all seem to be pretty much the same; so, if we get one, we should probably look for the best deal (price, shipping and support).

Other heat press related items that need to be purchased (rubber/silicone heat pad, Teflon sheets, etc…) are all well under the $150 limit each, have already been discussed in person with both Nicole (@uglyknees) and Cary (@CaryF300), and will be purchased in the near future.

I do plan on doing at least two Dye Sublimation Basics classes (one weekend and one either evening or Midnight Maker - alternating from month to month based on interest, etc…) each month while as long as there is interest.

Thanks!!!
:smiley:

4 Likes