$150 Aluminum casting job

Hi there, I’m wondering if anyone knows a person that could cast the two parts on the pictures. The parts are about 2.5’x2.5’x2.5’. I’ll provide the positive.

Thank you!

I don’t know if I can help or not due to the tools I currently have in hand. I will be at Makerspace most of the day today going to the mold making classes in CA and also in and out of the meeting. If you can find me and show me the parts I can tell you what I can do for you.

1 Like

Hi Terrence, that sounds great. I will show up at the space at 2.

I do have a crucible and a foundry that you could use. Also I have a pair of tongs that I need to finish (I only need to round the ends like this video) Hope we can make it work.

Am here right now on a computer in the common area (4/23 12:40). I’m wearing a camouflage color ball cap that says Toyota trucks.

Alright Terrence I’m on my way. I’m about 40 min away.

is this an ice cube maker?
let me know if you still need help

1 Like

Hi Terrence, I followed your advice and made the modification you suggested. I’ll be free tomorrow after 4 PM and Tuesday after 5 PM. Let me know what you think.

That looks really good! I’ll try to be at DMS tomorrow (Monday) after 5.

Thank you ClayW, Terrence will help me out this week.

I’ll let you know if more help is needed

Hey Terrence I’m sanding a part in the shop area

@Paulo_Esperon

I was told tonight at jewelry committee meeting that you broke a drill bit in the part we made. Do you want to try casting it again?

I was drilling the hole for the hinge and a drill bit broke inside. I’ll probably cast it again after I’m done with my finals (May 10). Thank you for the offer. I’ll let you know when I’m doing it if you are around for some advice.

Those of us watching along would love to know more about what actually worked, what you liked, hated, learned, etc…

After finals is cool. Just want to ask for the WHOLE story. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We met yesterday at DMS in Jewelry/ Small metals and I got out my sand casting equipment. I was able to get a mold of both the top and bottom of the part using a wooden cope and drag and PetroBond casting sand. Paulo fired up the propane furnace that he made and we melted some aluminum and poured each part. The first part, the top, came out pretty good but we had a few places on inside of the bowl and at some edges that a little sand crumbled out. It looked in pretty good shape to be cleaned up. The bottom part was presentable, but lost some detail on the legs and the lip of the bowl. Also, there were a couple of pinholes in the bowl, but not terrible. Of course, sand casting didn’t reproduce the holes for the hinge pin, so Paulo had to drill those and the drill bit broke off in the hole. He paid me for the effort although I made it clear to him that I didn’t expect him to pay me any more than what he thought the job was worth. I thought he was too generous, so donated about half the money to the Jewelry Committee.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll be around. No charge for a repeat casting.

1 Like

Awesome!
Wish I’d been around to witness.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Thats pretty awesome. This has been interesting to follow

1 Like

I bet that if I print it in the Formlabs, the finish will be much better. The layered surface of the print made it difficult for the sand to stay where there was fine details.