110 MHz function generator - We got one?

Have we got anything capable of outputting an AM modulated signal in the 108-118 MHz range? I think the bench top generators are good to 25 MHz.

The ELab does not have a rf gen w/ am mod.
However one of our Amateur Radio SIG members might.
Sending PMs.

Art. Thanks for the heads up! Let me know if you hear anything.

JR

Walter left us a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator that will give you a tone at that frequency. I don’t think it will modulate it for you though, but maybe that gets you half way there.

Are you doing something with an ILS receiver from an aircraft? I’m intrigued.

I have what you need. It is a Lodestar SG-4160B Signal Generator that can operate up to 150 MHz. It can use an internal 1KHz modulated signal or an external one.

I won’t be at the Sunday meeting but can drop it off during the week for you.

1 Like

I have an HP 8640b, but like so many of them, it needs a selector switch rebuild done to it.

Just curious - could a SDR work for this?

Jay,

I just dropped off my Signal Generator at the EE Lab for you to use.

I set it on the shelf above the computer terminal. There is an operational manual with it. Enjoy and return it when when you are done.

2 Likes

@richmeyer wow talk about fast service! Thanks in advance! I’m actually out of the country for a bit and still a ways from being ready to borrow it so you may want to take it home. I’ll definitely get in touch when I’m ready though!

@benemorius close but not quite. I’m using it for a VOR test signal. That having been said ILS runs on the very similar principles.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Jeff,

Per your suggestion…

I picked up the RF Signal Generator. I’ll drop it off again when you need it.

How are you going to generate the phase delays ?

I grew up at KSLR. ( Dad was the manager for nearly 3 decades. ) I was friends with the guy that maintained the local VOR station. ( SLR - 109.0 ) He talked about having to make jumpers to set the antenna phase using a vector voltmeter and some really annoying tolerances.

The digital function generators have a phase offset setting. It’s just a matter of selecting which radial you want to broadcast and then dialing it in to the receiver and obs.

1 Like