$100 Reward for missing hard drive

I’ll be posting signs around DMS this morning. Please let them stay up through the weekend. I’ll take them down again on Monday or if it’s found.

Photo is attached below. Last seen in the Lost and Found box at off site storage.

Also, would someone be will to be an intermediary for its return? Maybe the person who helped @slinkygn before?

(And yes. This is my desperate voice.)

Edit:

I have a bin. Yes there are cameras, but with your back to the stack no one will know…

It’s in the rolling bank far right of the three. Look for LIMEY on the lower of the bank, and Cindy is pink, just below.

Another option, no cameras whatsoever… I’ll check the off site storage on Monday. All you have to do it put it back to the Lost and Found box where you found it.

@denzuko has agreed to be a go-between if needed.

===

Cross your fingers for me please, Talk readers. I’m needing all the help I can get on this one.

I will be. I don’t know anyone so I can hardly rat them out if they’re the one who pilfered it

I’ll keep that in mind.

I am now reverting to the idea that someone picked it up for safekeeping. :wink:

Posters everywhere, even at the off site. If it doesn’t find its way home, I will have lost my faith in humanity and have to join those who wanted to etch steel without acid. :wink:

1 Like

If this was me (and I had lost my hard drive) I would now go home and find it under a cushion on my couch.

1 Like

I would suspect that if someone grabbed it they intended to use it. So they probably formatted it, which makes it almost worthlesss to Cindy.

Sucks that we have people with so little regard for others.

1 Like

Yes, it does. And if they did, they can kick themselves now because they could buy two for that reward. On the other hand, if they still have it and didn’t get around to plugging it in, they can pick up an extra $100.

The intermediary promises anonymity if someone decides to reverse my fortune. I’m not giving up hope until Monday, but I confess, it’s certainly left me heartbroken. I should have never taken it to the space. My last day at DMS is May 9. At this point I can’t imagine ever coming back, but I’m old enough to know that I should never say never.

Just to be clear, I’m pretty sure the personal stuff was encrypted and password protected. I’m also relatively sure I have all the photos in another location. But I’d been working off of it for a few weeks and I’m really not looking forward to recreating it all. In my head, it’s still valuable to me, so that’s why I’m offering the reward. And it’s mine. I want it back. In a lot of ways it would be easier to have lost it outright than come to understand the calamity of possession that took place thanks to crazy DMS (lack of) protocols.

I’d like my last memory of DMS to have a happier ending than it stands now. Not been a great four months.

I had a little crappy personal tool that meant something to me but looked like not much to anyone else that I dropped in the hall a few weeks ago. It got picked by someone. Never appeared in lost and found nor all the possible commitees it might have been returned to. My bad for dropping it, but mainly just hoped to get it back if someone found it and hadn’t figured out what the heck to do with it (yes, I realize this is different that your situation in that regard).

And in my case it really could have been innocent, they just hadn’t figured out what to do with it, where it went if it were a dms tool. But folks get understandably weird about opening themselves to accusation when maybe they simply found my doohickey and it was bad timing (late night) to figure out what to do with it then forgot it. (Again, not saying our issues are similar, just that if someone DID want to return your thingy, it’s waaay more complicated now)

I think what helped a LOT on getting it back mine is I just posted a Lost notice here on Talk, spread the word a little in person, but what REALLY helped particularly is I gave two different ways for it to be returned anonymously. And sure enough, it appeared in my bin. I was thrilled and honestly I’d love to reward who returned it, buy them a coke or something at the least. I’m sure I won’t ever know who found it, returned it, but thx.

I think the ability to have anonymity in some way, just a way to leave it without ANYONE knowing, could be useful

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! That’s brilliant.

I have a bin. Yes there are cameras, but with your back to the stack no one will know…

It’s in the rolling bank far right of the three. Look for LIMEY on the lower of the bank, and Cindy is pink, just below.

Another option, no cameras whatsoever… I’ll check the off site storage on Monday. All you have to do it put it back to the Lost and Found box where you found it.

(PS I looked for your thingamajig for a couple of days. Eyes to the floor. Peered behind standing artwork. I’m glad you found it.)

1 Like

Honestly, while cameras are in the galley, it’d be pretty danged anonymous because of folks having to spend hours of their time scanning camera footage for tool damage and other bad behavior, and that’s with an idea of a window of when to look…seriously doubt scanning a giant window of time just to see who accesses a bin area, especially if they’re doing the right thing…I’m guessing that’s REALLY low on the list of their fun things to do with their time :slight_smile:

When I did my post, I also mentioned which area of which wall to look since there’s a lot of bins now.

1 Like

Not only low on the priority, it is practically impossible without a narrow time frame. To find someone walking in and dropping something in a tub, we would have to watch in realtime, or at best 2x.

2 Likes

Except I don’t care. I just want it back.

Just to finish this one… I had the data. It took a few days for things to slow down enough for me to check once I settled in up north, but it was all in a second place.

So except for a few recently worked files and the physical drive itself, the bad experience wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Back up early. Back up often. Back up in two places. Don’t ever take anything to DMS that you don’t mind losing.

That’s what my first six months of DMS membership taught me.