$10 Biosafety Cabinet

https://www.slapsale.com/1-baker-co-class-ii-type-a-bio-safety-cabinet-142177

Type II Biosafety Cabinet $10 haha

Any interest?

1 Like

Cool! What do you think it will sell for? How much to ship it? Weight?

Pick up only. And restricted days.

Things sell for very cheap there. Though it varies. It depends on demand- it’s a thin market. If you go through the old history you see some things going for very cheap. Especially scientific hardware.

Things like lots of old Apple computers. Those always go for more. But they sell on eBay reliably. Microscopes, cabinets, centrifuges, etc. very cheap.

But again. It’s haul away yourself. They even have that hydraulic lift for $2000 right now, though I suspect it’ll go up.

I think it’d be great fun to get a CBC / CMP machine. People could run basic labs on themselves. Maker style health checkup. Though I think the FDA frowns on that…

Cvs used to offer direct to consumer labs through the now defunct … damn what was that company that was like the darling of Silicon Valley promising to do labs with only a drop of blood by the Stanford dropout but then later went down in a ball of flames when it turned out their own equipment didn’t work- and they were using standard equipments- Athenos? Aethera? I don’t know. Anyway.

I briefly considered today renting a storage locker and starting a business reselling on eBay. There’s a market there if you have the time and space.

I don’t think we actually have room for another buosafety cabinet, though I think this one is better, this site is a good resource for an organization like this where third hand equipment at pennies on the dollar sounds like a great idea. Working in my labs my whole life, I know what these things (not any one particular thing, all of these things in general) cost new, and my jaw dropped when I saw the price. Some of it is just junk though.
Andy

1 Like

Don’t know how much some of those microscopes will go for but some looked awesome and there is basically no bid on most of them.
Yes, that biosafety hood is awesome but a logistical nightmare to pick up and transport. I guess you would have to have your own team of movers. Prob spend $1000s to move it even if you got it for $100.

Re those blood machines, these days they require software and upgrades regularly and usually they require special consumables like chemical reservoirs and cassettes that are chip coded so that you cannot just add your own (think inkjet printers but way worse).

2 Likes

Most auction sites do not ship - items are sold “as it - where is” and this is one of those large heavier items where you would want to CALL the SELLER and ask if they provide some sort of loading help i.e. forklift(on to your truck or trailer), pallet jack etc.

These are details YOU want to know before bidding, winning, and making the drive to pick up such an item only to find out, you didn’t bring enough manpower, tools, or whatever else you may have needed to get it home.

Doing a little “homework” ahead of time can prevent a headache and more when buying from various auction sites. Some sellers are extremely helpful - others are the opposite.

I’ve bought from a few auctions local and afar(OK city is the “afar”) and the key is always to read the fine print, then read it again, and then call the seller if you are not sure of something.

Make sure you can make the time to pick up the items within the specified “pick up” dates - some require appointments, some do not. Again - it is the buyer’s responsibility to do the legwork.

2 Likes

Tlar - yes - that biosafety hood is only available for pickup on ONE day for FIVE hours else you lose it!

That’s pretty crummy but I guess the seller can set the rules.

Someone will get a great deal if they can plan on being there to pick it up.

I would love to have something like that hood. Overkill but pretty cool. I wonder if it can be disassembled for transport.

David,

I read that about the short window of pickup for that itrm. That is quite unusual!
I’ve evolved to the point of asking if there is loading dock, freight elevator, ramp etc based on my various auction experiences.
I have the advantage of a steel deck car trailer - so room is usually not a problem, access however is a challenge at times

Any opinion on how one of these would break down for transport? Probably would need some custom instructions, from the company perhaps? Looks like a rather sturdy and complex device.

Keep in mind that it is a live auction. The bid is up to 13.50 (not by me)

1 Like

Looks build like a tank. Whole issue is getting it to where you want it and the narrow access time for p/u.

I would be interested. Anyone interested in doing a moving job of one or more? I’ll take one. DMS might take one. If you have the means to move it to Dallas nine days from now, PM me.

I’m serious! I’ll hire your team to move it if I can get it at the right price.

I have a vintage Dodge RAM 2500 long bed available but I can’t get the day off for driving to Houston and nor do I have buddies free to help with it.

If it is as sturdy as it looks - I’d roll it out onto a flat bed trailer and chock the wheels, remove any lights or any fragile parts of the cabinet, tie the cabinet down to the trailer and go…

3 Likes

You can rent trailers that lower the bed down flat and raise back up again using hydraulics. My neighbor rented one from Sun to move a large Bridgeport mill.

1 Like

If the timing were better - I’d lend a hand - but I am self employed and “time off?” during the week is not possible.

I target my auction items for Mondays (my day “off”). Next Monday would have been ideal since I am going to Pearland to pick up a few things…but Weds - that I cannot do.

Darn it, yeah that’s a pretty crummy deal on the part of the seller to provide only 5 hours during one day for pick up. Maybe I can contact him to see if he could hold until the weekend. I have a friend who might be available but he lacks moving experience and the skills you have at securing things like that. So I’m a bit wary of sending him.

Well, I’ll keep you updated. Thank you for your interest.

Dang! There’s some fierce bidding. It’s up to $24.50.

1 Like

Doubled in price! The auctioneer mist be thrilled!

Yikes! It is built like a tank!
Mover beware!

Height 80in
Width: 32in
Length 53in
Weight 800lbs

I found a Dallas moving company who gave me a quote on moving one of them. $700 to $900 depending on whether they find other business in Houston on that day. Get both of them and split the cost.

1 Like