$1.3 BILLION in cocaine seized from JP Morgan Chase

At first before I read the article I just imagined hundreds of powdery safety deposit boxes.

It’s $1.3B divvied be 640,000 (40,000 x 16)
Comes out to $203 lb. so they definitely didn’t figure street level prices.

Check your math. :thinking:

Mmmmm I think ya math is a bit off.

1300000000á40000 pounds=$32500 per pound
32500á16 ounces=2031.25 per ounce
2031.25á37.5 grams=54.16 per gram

:grinning:

1 Like

LOL,
That is not that bad of a mark up as it seems the white stuff goes for $29K to $37K a Kilo in Philly right now. :smile:

What an absurd hole to step into. I’m with @TBJK this seems really fishy as JP Morgan and 1.3 billion in cocaine seem to be every third phase in this post. Seems like someone is pushing SEO more than a factual story.

1 Like

Because click bait is the new normal.

3 Likes

Let me fix that for your, because click bait is the “NEWS.”

2 Likes

That’s one of the reasons I don’t even bother with news anymore. It almost always seems to be biased one way or the other with little credibility.

1 Like

Totally agree,

I only delve in when I see friends post stuff on facebook and the headlines seem so crazy that I have to question why they would put their name to that message. Many are single sided misinformed hit pieces, others are headlines that completely contradict the article they are on. But, all are 100% CLICK BAIT.

It really is a sad state of affairs we are in when we still call these respected outlets for information with a strait face. They have all lost that title to me at this point.

I meant to say &203 per ounce, and even THEN I misplaced a decimal point. Glad I wasn’t the money man on that deal or I’d be dead or on the lam! :grimacing:

1 Like

The ship isn’t owned by JP Morgan Chase, it’s owned by a fund administered by JPMorgan Asset Management Holdings.

It’s generally referred to as an alternative investment strategy (alternative to a traditional ETF or bond or other Wall Street vehicle).

Commercial maritime vessels are good investment vehicles. The fund goes out and buys 5 or 10 of them and then leases them out for 2-3x their depreciation to an operator (in this case, MSC), and the operator doesn’t have to absorb the capitalization and depreciation on their books, they just have the OpEx of the lease.

Returns are really pretty good. I have funds in one of their maritime investment vehicles.

4 Likes

Only at Makerspace can a story about the bust of a lifetime be dwarfed by the specifics of if the ship was actually owned by Chase and if the pounds actually add up to 1.5 billion dollars, lol. Bunch of nerds. I’m right at home!

4 Likes

First thing I did was send the link to my dad and ask if that’s how they paid for the new building.

1 Like

Anything worth discussing is worth over-discussing.

3 Likes

America ain’t playing around no more. Trump wants to get rid of the money the deep state makes off selling cocaine to our fellow citizens!!! THIS is MAGA!!

Whether your post was satire or delusion, I did get a chuckle out of it.

8 Likes

We just stopped in Oklahoma. Someone had used body fluids to smear “Trump 2020” on the bathroom wall. The merch rack was naked lady mud flaps, truck nutz, screaming eagle shirts, and the red hats. I’d like a little less MAGA with my Murica please.

1 Like

Loved how the guy on one boat said “its going to be hard to get onto that”, guy on other boat jumps on and turns around with that “tadaaa” look real quick.

1 Like

I feel cheated. When I was on a submarine they would only let me bring a maximum of two bottles of liquor back from overseas.

7 Likes

Taking alcohol on a trip or bringing it home? I shipped absinthe home from Hungary so that I didnt have to worry about walking through the airport with it.

Getting alcohol on a cruise is a different story.

1 Like