Wood Necklace jewelry

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone knows how to saw open a wooden pendant to encase a sphere inside of it. I don’t have the measurements yet though. I was wondering does anyone have any expertise in this. I will pay whoever for their services. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:.

Can’t really envision what you’re talking about here. Do you have a drawing? You want a small wooden sphere inside a small locket thing?

2 Likes

Glass sphere. Would you like to meet up today so I can show you?

I won’t be at the space for a while. So you want to cut a hole in a wooden pendant and have a glass sphere hanging in the middle?

Yeah. I want to cut the wood open like two pieces of bread, and put a sphere inside of it.

Sooooo… You need a saw. If you’re sawing a thin thing, you’ll need something with a skinny blade. Hacksaw or jeweler’s saw. Jeweler’s saws usually have fine teeth better suited to metal. I’d be inclined to ask someone in Woodshop. In person. With the piece you want to cut in your hand.

Like a S’mores?

Then I’d imagine you’d need a very thin saw, like the jeweler’s saw previously mentioned, and use a dremel to carve out the middle so the sphere will fit.

I would cut an appropriately undersized hole all the way through the slab of wood. Depending on the size of the hole, a Forstner bit (or a spade bit in a pinch), a hole saw, or the scroll saw using a pilot hole could all work.

Once the hole in in place, you’d then split the slab.

Cutting a slab of wood in half through the side is best done using a band saw to “resaw” the slab into two thinner slabs. This can be done on the table saw but the band saw blade has a smaller kerf and will waste less wood.

You’d now have two slabs, each slightly less than 1/2 the original thickness with a hole through the center. I’d then use a cove bit on the router to route the inside of each hole to enlarge the inside of the hole so that the inner rim of each hole would match or exceed the diameter of the sphere. If needed, more material could be removed from the inside by cutting larger diameter holes using a forstner bit (kinda tricky to keep aligned), but the cove bit would allow a tight match between the wood and the sphere on the outer edge. A straightcut router bit could also cut the rabbet on the inside of the hole’s rim.

You could tape the two pieces together to cut the outside profile using either the band saw or the scroll saw, and sanding smooth.

Once enough wood was removed, you could glue the two halves back together, trapping the sphere in between. If needed, a piece of contrasting wood could be inserted in between to bulk out the wood parts (and add interest).

Capture2

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll just drop by today. I don’t have a membership, so I’ll just ring the bell.