Wide Format Pattern Print

Anybody know where I can get a pattern printed at about 5’ width? Trying to make a backpacking shelter.

What would you like printed, what would you like it printed on, and what length would you like it printed to? What’s your budget?

1 Like

Line drawing on paper. 24’ continuous or 2 x 15’ approx.

What type of paper?

Priority 1 is dimensionally stable, translucent might be nice, but I don’t think it is necessary

Do you have a weight in mind? Some printing processes can only do certain weights and substrates.

I don’t know what weight I need. Probably as light as I can get without making a special order or otherwise adding significant expense.

You might be able to use an engineering plotter. I’ve seen some in the 36" and 42" range. They can typically print continuous, but they may not go all the way up to 5’ wide.

You might try pdfplotting.com if you don’t have to get it in hand in the next day or two.

It seems nobody prints to a 5’ width, and I will have to piece together two or three sections.

At least not with a conventional plotter. I expect using a flatbed will drive up costs to an unacceptable level.

I’m a little confused. Are you printing the pattern, or the shelter? If it’s the pattern, does it have some curves? If it’s pretty much straight lines, then it might be do-able without a physical pattern.

As a totally odd suggestion, you could take a long piece of roll paper and laser cut the pattern on Big Thunder. Even if you have to piece two strips, that shouldn’t be a big deal. With very careful power management you can even engrave the “printing”, seam allowances, or whatever. I “engrave” paper occasionally and it works fine.

1 Like

Could also have it put in some registration holes for lining up pieces.

If pattern has symmetry across narrow axis only need a little over half as wide.

1 Like

@carpa I can get it printed for you,
Is the other dimension larger than 10 ft? Send me a PM and I can give you pricing and time frame.