Why we can't have nice things

I managed to run the Bridgeport into the 5C collet chuck (from the Haas Drawer) last night. I think it’s still usable but it’s definitely damaged. Let me know what I need to do about it.

2 Likes

you could explain why it was run on the bridgeport.

This is intended to run on a lathe or for circular ramp downs on a cnc.
since it’s impossible to do that on a mill, the workpiece should have been put into v blocks if it is a circular workpiece. Those are in the cabinet.

I’ll look at it sometime this week and hope it isn’t rendered worthless. Smooth surfaces are a must for clamping to ensure it is accurate.

I think there are 2 different types of collet chucks in that drawer. The chuck I was using has a hex holder and a square holder. I was using the square part in the vice on the Bridgeport. I was basically making a square part on the end of a round part with a slot in it. The round part was chucked in the square collet holder and then put on it’s side in the vice. Then mill was used to cut off a bit on the side on the round. The collet is then rotated 90 degrees and the same operation is repeated. Repeat 2 more times and you have a nice square. It’s easier to show than explain.

My problem was that I was using a very short 1/8" bit and although I thought I had enough clearance the bottom of the Bridgeport touched the top of the collet. I hindsight I could have change the setup a bit and been fine.

Again, my apologies and let me know how to make it right.

2 Likes

we all know things happen. I would have preferred the clearance had been checked.
If it hit the collet then that is an easy replacement. If it hit the body we’ll need to see if we can smooth it out. thank you for reporting it. I hope you know there is no penalty when it is reported. Just continue to do good work and report things like this. you should see some of the doozies I’ve had at work. cheers!

8 Likes

I just looked this up an I should have called it a collet “block” not chuck.

So you are saying you collet blocked us?

6 Likes

terrible, just terrible…

2 Likes

GROAN

and more characters

1 Like