Who needs a shotgun to shoot trap

Ran across this.

All it takes is money… and practice.

Russell Ward

5 Likes

… and a huge clear area around wherever the rounds are likely to drop since it seems like they’re going to be carrying a wee bit more Wheaties on the terminal phase than shotgun pellets.

2 Likes

That is addressed in the video. And it is a very important point. When you watch the video you’ll see why it is safe for them to try these shots.

The military requires a safety fan, the distance behind the target, of 7 miles for a .30-06 caliber range.There aren’t many ranges that have that kind of fallout zone at civilian ranges. The only one that I know of, possibly, is Whittington Center near Raton NM. I’m not sure they have a full 7 miles but they own a lot of land behind the 500 ft mountain that catches most of the stray rounds.

Russell Ward

1 Like

Didn’t watch it because I pretty much can’t watch video at work, and the site is blocked by the firewall. Had to toggle my phone to cell data to get around the work firewall blocking the site and skimmed the article, seeing no mention of this.

Probably not going to. I can read some ~ten times faster than most video presents information and don’t have to consume it in a linear fashion either. I do realize much of the point of the article is to frame the video, but it’s going to be hours until I’m away from work where I’ll likely not be at a computer nor inclined to tie up the phone.

Here is the 200 yd shot.

This isn’t Whittington Center but this mountain isn’t as tall.

32965753661_f0e0a51986_z

Russell Ward

Well,
That is some funny training for dove season. Now if I could just get out to that same farm Dick Cheney hunts at, I could attempt this on some released birds. Hopefully, I can manage not to shoot anyone in the face.

Low popups typical of a trap range. Add in the relatively long distance and there’s not a lot of elevation on the rifle, thus the circular error probable is pretty reasonable.

Range fans, if I recall from when I was talking to a master gunner, are developed with the largest/furthest traveling round that the range is able to handle (usually 50 BMG unless it’s just a qual range) going at all possible deflections from the firing line. It’s a highly limiting way to design a range in my opnion, but I digress.

Shane Coley of Glock used to do a trick where he would throw a clay in the air, draw his pistol, and shoot it. I’ve never been able to replicate it because I can’t throw the damn clay without it spinning wildly on edge.